Understanding Scale Factors in Cylindrical Polar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the gradient of the function f in cylindrical polar coordinates. The scale factors are defined as h1 = 1, h2 = R, and h3 = 1, and the equations for the scale factors are given. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the definition of scale factors and the gradient operator in curvilinear coordinate systems.
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Using the cylindrical polar co ordinates ##(ℝ,θ,z)## calculate the gradient of ##f=ℝ sin θ + z^2##

the textbook says that the scale factors are ## h1=1, h2=ℝ & h3=1##

how did they arrive at this?[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##h1=|∂f/∂ℝ|= sin θ,
h2=|∂f/∂θ|=ℝ cos θ
h3=|∂f/∂z|=2z##
advice [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your textbook should then also mention the definition of the scale factors and how the gradient operator is expressed in curvilinear coordinate systems?

Also, do not use ##\mathbb R## to denote anything other than the real numbers, the default notation for the radial coordinate in polar or cylinder coordinates would generally be ##r## or ##\rho##.

Thanks a lot the scale factor is defined as follows,...a small preview
the cartesian system and curvilinear system are 1:1
where## x(u1,u2,u3)= u(x1,x2,x3)##
where x defines cartesian and u defines curvilinear coordinate system.
It follows that
## x= cos θ , y=sin θ , z=z##.
In the conversion from cartesian system ##(x,y,z)## to curvilinear system ##(r,θ,z)##
the displacement ## r= xi+yj+zk##
small displacement ## dr= (∂f/∂u1)dr1 + (∂f/∂u2)dr2+ (∂f/∂u3)dr3## i will check this.
ok i will restrict myself to the equations without going into a lot of details,
we have ## f(R,θ,z)= R cos θi+ Rsin θj + zk##
The scale facors are given as follows
## h1= mod ∂f/dR=1 & h2= mod ∂f/∂θ= R &
h3= mod ∂f/∂z = 1 ##

thanks greetings from Africa chikhabi!

Last edited:

FAQ: Understanding Scale Factors in Cylindrical Polar Coordinates

1. What are cylindrical polar coordinates?

Cylindrical polar coordinates are a system of representing points in three-dimensional space using the distance from the origin, the angle from the positive x-axis, and the height above the xy-plane.

2. How do I convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical polar coordinates (r, θ, z), use the following equations:

r = √(x2 + y2)

θ = tan-1(y/x)

z = z

3. What is the range of values for cylindrical polar coordinates?

The range of values for cylindrical polar coordinates is as follows:

r: r ≥ 0

θ: 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π

z: z can take any real value

4. How do I convert from cylindrical polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical polar coordinates (r, θ, z) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), use the following equations:

x = r cos(θ)

y = r sin(θ)

z = z

5. What are some real-world applications of cylindrical polar coordinates?

Cylindrical polar coordinates are often used in engineering and physics, particularly in fields such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. They are also used in computer graphics to represent 3D objects and in navigation systems to determine the position and orientation of objects in space.

Back