Understanding Second Order PDEs: Explaining the Unit Tangent to a Curve

In summary, the unit tangent to a curve y=Y(X) can be described by the formula (i + Y'(X)j)/[(1+[Y'(X)]^2)^(0.5)]. This formula is derived from parametrizing the curve and dividing the tangent vector by its magnitude to make it a unit vector. It is analogous to the gradient operator in higher dimensions.
coverband
Hi

In my lecturer's notes he describes the unit tangent to a curve y=Y(X) as

(i + Y'(X)j)/[(1+[Y'(X)]^2)^(0.5)]

in an introduction to second order PDEs

I'm a bit confused by this. Where did it come from?

Can anyone explain

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A curve [itex](x, y(x))[/itex] parameterized by [itex]x[/itex] has tangent vectors [itex](1, y'(x))[/itex] with lengths [itex]\sqrt{1+(y')^2}[/itex].

Also, this function would give you a unit vector pointing in the positive x direction. Notice that the function will tell you only the tangent vector. It will not tell you at what x and y coordinates the actual tangent touches the curve. You need the origional function for that.

coverband said:
In my lecturer's notes he describes the unit tangent to a curve y=Y(X) as

(i + Y'(X)j)/[(1+[Y'(X)]^2)^(0.5)]

Where did it come from?

Hi coverband! :smile:

It looks more logical if you parametrise the curve: X = x(t), Y = y(t).

Then your Y'(X) is dY/dX = y'/x', and the formula (after multiplying top and bottom by x') becomes …

(x',y')/√(x'2 + y'2) …

so the tangent is parallel to the gradient (x',y'),

and to make it a unit vector you divide by its magnitude. :smile:

Let's clarify the analogy with the gradient operator. This would actually be a one dimensional case of the gradient operator, not a 2D case correct?

y(x) = Grad[Y(x)] / Abs[Grad[Y(x)]]

Where in general, x is a position vector of arbitrary dimention. This of course goes much beyond the origional question, but I want to check for myself.

Related to Understanding Second Order PDEs: Explaining the Unit Tangent to a Curve

1. What is a second order partial differential equation (PDE)?

A second order PDE is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to two or more independent variables. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. What is the unit tangent to a curve?

The unit tangent to a curve is a vector that is tangent to the curve at a specific point and has a magnitude of 1. It represents the direction of the curve at that point.

3. Why is it important to understand second order PDEs?

Second order PDEs are essential in many areas of science and engineering as they provide a more accurate and detailed description of physical phenomena compared to first order PDEs. They are also used in the development of mathematical models and in solving real-world problems.

4. How do you explain the concept of unit tangent to a curve?

The unit tangent to a curve can be visualized as a line that touches the curve at a specific point and has a direction that is parallel to the curve at that point. This unit tangent vector is used to describe the direction of the curve at that point and is essential in understanding the behavior of the curve.

5. What are some applications of second order PDEs?

Second order PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the development of mathematical models for predicting and solving real-world problems.