Understanding Semialgebras: Exploring the Definition and Examples

• Thread starter LeonhardEuler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary: The book defines a semialgebra as a collection of sets that are closed under intersection and that include the set itself as an element. The example given is a semialgebra that includes the real line as an element.
LeonhardEuler
Gold Member
Probably a stupid question here, but I've been beating myself up over it and can't find a resolution. I'm reading a book (Probability: Theory and Examples by Rick Durrett) that defines a semialgebra as:

Durrett said:
A collection of sets S is said to be a semialgebra if (i) it is closed under intersection, and (ii) if S is an element of S, then Sc is a finite disjoint union of sets in S.

Already, this seems extremely odd to me because the compliment of a set belongs to the same space as the set itself. The disjoint union introduces another index to each element, if I am understanding that correctly as according to http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DisjointUnion.html" . So unless we are dealing with strange sets that include elements of different dimensions, I don't see how this is possible. The book then goes on to show that I clearly have misunderstood something because it then gives an example of a semialgebra:

Durrett said:
An important example of a semialgebra is Rdo = the collection of sets of the form

(a1,b1]X ... X(ad,bd] , a subset of Rd where [tex]-\infty \leq a_{i} < b_{i} \leq \infty[/tex]

But if i look at the interval (0,1] in R, then its compliment is
[tex](-\infty,0] \cup (1,\infty)[/tex]
Which is a union of intervals of the real line, not a disjoint union. A disjoint union would seem to have sets of the form [tex](-\infty,0] \times {{0}}[/tex] which don't belong to the real line at all.

Where am I going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A disjoint union is a union of disjoint sets, so what you wrote is indeed a disjoint union of two intervals.

What about what it says in those two links? I have not seen that definition of a disjoint union.

LeonhardEuler said:
What about what it says in those two links? I have not seen that definition of a disjoint union.

Ignore that Wikipedia page. It is irrelevant for this problem. In this problem, a "disjoint union" of sets is a union of sets where the sets are disjoint.

g_edgar said:
Ignore that Wikipedia page. It is irrelevant for this problem. In this problem, a "disjoint union" of sets is a union of sets where the sets are disjoint.

Well that makes a lot more sense then. The last part that confuses me is that I can only write the compliment of that set with an interval that extends to +infinity which is right open, not right closed. How is this problem resolved.

Related to Understanding Semialgebras: Exploring the Definition and Examples

1. What is the definition of a semialgebra?

A semialgebra is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and operations that follows the rules of algebra, but does not require all operations to be defined for all elements. In a semialgebra, elements can be combined using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, but not all of these operations may be defined for every element.

2. How is a semialgebra different from a traditional algebra?

A traditional algebra requires all operations to be defined for all elements, while a semialgebra allows for the possibility of undefined operations. This makes semialgebras more flexible and allows for a wider range of mathematical structures to be studied.

3. What are some examples of semialgebras?

Some common examples of semialgebras include the set of real numbers, the set of positive integers, and the set of boolean values (true and false). In each of these examples, not all operations are defined for all elements, making them semialgebras.

4. Why is the concept of semialgebra important?

Semialgebras are important in mathematics because they provide a framework for studying structures that are not fully algebraic, but still exhibit some algebraic properties. They also have applications in fields such as computer science and economics.

5. How is a semialgebra used in scientific research?

Semialgebras are used in various areas of scientific research, including statistics, probability theory, and optimization. They provide a way to model and analyze complex systems that do not conform to traditional algebraic structures, allowing for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena.

Back