Understanding Standing Waves for SAT II Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of standing waves and how they are formed by the interference of two traveling waves. It is explained that two waves can be completely constructive and destructive at different times due to their interference patterns. The concept is further clarified through figures and animations, and it is mentioned that the amplitude of a standing wave varies at different points unlike a traveling wave where all points vibrate with the same amplitude.
panli19

Homework Statement

So I am studying SAT II physics by myself and I don't really understand how standing waves form. I understand that they are formed by the interference of the two traveling waves which results in complete destructive interference at some points, and complete constructive interference at others. What I don't understand is how can two waves be completely constructive and completely destructive at the same time. For two waves to be completely constructive, crusts need to meet crusts and troughs need to meet troughs. For them to be completely destructive, everything must be out of phase. How can two waves be in and out of phase at the same time

2. I also don't understand this statement in the Princeton review book"while every point on the string had the same amplitude as the traveling wave went by, each point on a string supporting a standing wave has an individual amplitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Constructive and destructive interferences happen at different times.
check the figures in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave
and the animation in http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/waves/swf.cfm.

At the instant the two waves lie exactly over each other, there is constructive interference. After a little time, (as they travel in opposite direction), one wave would 'complement' the other & you get destructive interference.

2. The final wave is [tex]y = 2 y_0 \sin(kx) \cos(\omega t)[/tex] or [tex] y = A \cos(\omega t)[/tex] where A is a function of x. The amplitude of the standing wave is thus different at different points.
While certain points vibrate from y = -A to y = A, certain other points don't vibrate at all.

This contrast the situation in case of a traveling wave as each point would vibrate from y = -A to y = A.

thanks a lot

Related to Understanding Standing Waves for SAT II Physics

1. What are standing waves?

Standing waves are a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a stationary pattern, where certain points appear to be standing still as the waves pass through them.

2. How do standing waves form?

Standing waves form when a wave, such as a sound or electromagnetic wave, reflects off of a fixed endpoint and interferes with the original wave. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes, which are points of maximum and minimum amplitude respectively.

3. What is the significance of nodes and antinodes in standing waves?

Nodes and antinodes play a crucial role in understanding standing waves. Nodes are points where the two waves cancel each other out, resulting in zero amplitude. Antinodes are points where the two waves reinforce each other, resulting in maximum amplitude. These points help determine the wavelength and frequency of the standing wave.

4. How are standing waves different from traveling waves?

Traveling waves move through a medium, carrying energy with them. In contrast, standing waves do not propagate through a medium, but rather oscillate in place. This is due to the interference between the two waves that create the standing wave pattern.

5. How are standing waves used in real-world applications?

Standing waves have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments where they produce specific resonant frequencies. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound, as well as in wireless communication technologies. Understanding standing waves is essential in fields like physics, engineering, and telecommunications.