Understanding SU(5) Subgroups and the SM Choice

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary: The embedding of any group structure inside a group is determined from1-the adjoint representation of larger group should contain the adjoint representation of smaller one.2-the smallest representation of larger group is the sum of all non-trivial representations of smaller group.This is not what you want.You want an embedding of SU(3) \times U(1),which is not what is contained in the Exceptional group E6.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Well working with the dynkin diagram of SU(5), one can easily see (by Dynkin's rule) that possible choices of SU(5) spontaneous symmetry breaking could be:
[itex] SU(5)→ SU(4) \times U(1) [/itex] I call the broken group [itex]G[/itex]
and
[itex] SU(5)→ SU(3) \times SU(2) \times U(1) [/itex] which I call [itex]SM[/itex]

So I have a question. Apart from the natural imposition of the [itex]SM[/itex] subgroup (since we know that this is the gauge symmetry of our below GUT scale physics) is there any particular way the nature could have chosen it to [itex]G[/itex]?

If you understood the question so far, don't procceed I'll try to make it clearer. I would expect that both G and SM are equally possible candidates, but something must have been there to choose the Standard Model to G... what is that something?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
But we don't know that nature is even SU(5) symmetric - and indeed, there is evidence that it is not.

SU(5) won't die that easily, will it? XD Well, the minimal SU(5) theories are in fact rulled out by experiment (no proton decay), leaving nonminimal SU(5)s still around in the game.

Nevertheless, this doesn't cancel my question, which I think can be more general. Having a bigger symmetry, containing several subgroups, one of them being the Standard Model, how are the rest subgroups ruled out in the procedure of Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking?

One could be this, I heard of in a talk of Prof.Nielsen:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1306.2668v1.pdf
But I think it leaves out the spontaneous symmetry breaking formalism?

Nevertheless, this doesn't cancel my question, which I think can be more general. Having a bigger symmetry, containing several subgroups, one of them being the Standard Model, how are the rest subgroups ruled out in the procedure of Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking?
I don't think that I am understanding what you are asking correctly.The most general generalization of SU(5) group is SO(10) which apart from SU(5) contains U(1),while SU(5) contains the embedding of standard model.You just introduce one other lepton in case of SO(10) i.e. antineutrino.The embedding of any group structure inside a group is determined from
1-the adjoint representation of larger group should contain the adjoint representation of smaller one.
2-the smallest representation of larger group is the sum of all non-trivial representations of smaller group.
In your case,if you use the embedding [itex] SU(5)→ SU(4) \times U(1)[/itex],then SU(4) actually has an embedding of [itex]SU(3) \times U(1)[/itex],which is not what you want.Apart from this the next larger group is the Exceptional group E6,which contains SO(10).

andrien said:
In your case,if you use the embedding [itex] SU(5)→ SU(4) \times U(1)[/itex],then SU(4) actually has an embedding of [itex]SU(3) \times U(1)[/itex],which is not what you want..

why isn't it what I want?

Related to Understanding SU(5) Subgroups and the SM Choice

1. What is SU(5) and how does it relate to the Standard Model?

SU(5) is a mathematical group known as special unitary group of rank 5. It is a symmetry group that is used in theoretical physics, specifically in the study of particle physics. It is related to the Standard Model because it is used to describe the symmetries of the fundamental interactions between particles in the Standard Model.

2. What are subgroups and why are they important in studying SU(5)?

A subgroup is a smaller group that is a part of a larger group. In the context of SU(5), subgroups are important because they allow scientists to simplify the complex structure of SU(5) and make it more manageable to study. Subgroups can also reveal important relationships and patterns within SU(5) that can help us understand its properties and behavior.

3. How do scientists choose which subgroup to use in studying SU(5)?

The choice of subgroup in studying SU(5) is based on the specific properties or behaviors of SU(5) that the scientist is interested in. For example, if a scientist wants to study the symmetry breaking of SU(5), they may choose a subgroup that is related to symmetry breaking. The choice of subgroup is also influenced by mathematical and theoretical considerations.

4. What is the significance of studying SU(5) subgroups in relation to particle physics?

The study of SU(5) subgroups is significant in particle physics because it allows us to understand the symmetries and interactions of fundamental particles in a more simplified manner. It can also provide insights into the underlying structure of the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it. Additionally, the study of subgroups can help us make predictions and test the validity of the Standard Model.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding SU(5) subgroups?

While the study of SU(5) subgroups is primarily theoretical in nature, it has potential real-world applications in the fields of technology and engineering. For example, the principles of symmetry and group theory that are used in understanding SU(5) subgroups can also be applied in designing and optimizing complex systems such as computer algorithms and networks. Furthermore, the insights gained from studying SU(5) subgroups may also have applications in other areas of physics and mathematics.