Understanding Symbols in Physics Equations: What Do They Mean?

In summary, the equation looks like a photo of something and the brackets and the exp(x) notation represent a separate calculation.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

I have been reading a lot about physics and equation that look like the photo I attached. What do the brackets and the EXP mean?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• equation.png
    equation.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see the attached image, however, if you mean something like this: [itex] \exp (x) [/itex] that is just the exponential function, so [itex] \exp(x) = e^x [/itex]

It's just a more convenient way of representing the function when its arguments start to get complicated

The brackets are just that- a way of indicating a separate calculation, no different from parentheses.

matineesuxxx said:
I cannot see the attached image, however, if you mean something like this: [itex] \exp (x) [/itex] that is just the exponential function, so [itex] \exp(x) = e^x [/itex]

It's just a more convenient way of representing the function when its arguments start to get complicated
HallsofIvy said:
The brackets are just that- a way of indicating a separate calculation, no different from parentheses.
Here is a better picture
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1407259101.931582.jpg

If someone could write it without EXP that would be great so that I know what you guys are talking about.

The exp() notation is useful though if you are writing an expression in some programming languages such as Java where

Code:
double x = 3.2;
double y = Math.exp(x);       // refers to the e^x math function

For more general exponentiation then:

Code:
double x =3.2;
double y = 4.3;
double z = Math.pow(x,y);     // for x^y math function

Last edited:
##I = C_1 + C_2 G - C_3(e^{\frac {V} {C_4T_{cc}}} - 1) - C_5(e^{\frac {V} {C_6T_{cc}}} - 1) - \frac {V} {C_7T_{cc}}##

AlephZero said:
##I = C_1 + C_2 G - C_3(e^{\frac {V} {C_4T_{cc}}} - 1) - C_5(e^{\frac {V} {C_6T_{cc}}} - 1) - \frac {V} {C_7T_{cc}}##

Where are you getting the e? Is that euler's number?

FAQ: Understanding Symbols in Physics Equations: What Do They Mean?

1. What do these symbols mean?

The meaning of symbols can vary depending on the context in which they are used. It is important to provide more information, such as where the symbols were seen or used, to accurately determine their meaning.

2. How can I identify the meaning of a symbol?

One way to identify the meaning of a symbol is to research its origin and history. Symbols can have different meanings in different cultures and time periods, so it is important to consider these factors when trying to identify a symbol.

3. Are symbols universal or do they have different meanings in different contexts?

Symbols can have universal meanings, but they can also have different meanings in different contexts. For example, a red traffic light is universally recognized as a sign to stop, but the color red can also symbolize love or danger in other contexts.

4. Can symbols have multiple meanings?

Yes, symbols can have multiple meanings depending on the context in which they are used. For example, a rose can symbolize love, but it can also symbolize secrecy or confidentiality.

5. How do symbols play a role in communication?

Symbols play a crucial role in communication as they can convey complex ideas and concepts in a simple and easily recognizable form. They can also transcend language barriers and be understood by people from different cultures and backgrounds.