Understanding Telecentricity in Newtonian Telescopes

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation and operation of a telescope using paraxial approximations. The image is formed after the ocular and the system is afocal with a magnification less than 1 but an angular magnification greater than 1. The main topic of discussion is the telecentricity of the telescope and how to determine the location of the entrance and exit pupils. Through the use of ray-tracing and unfolding the light path, it is determined that the ocular is the aperture stop and the telescope is image-side telecentric. The conversation also mentions the presence of a plane mirror in a real reflector telescope and its role in limiting the amount of light entering the system.
Wminus

Homework Statement

See the image I uploaded.

Homework Equations

Paraxial approximations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the image is formed after the ocular, and I understand the system is afocal. The magnification is also less than 1, but the angular magnification is >1.

What I am stuck on, is the telecentricity. How am I to ray-trace the aperture so I get an entrance and exit pupil? What is F2?

I tried ray-tracing the plane mirror in the middle, but I ended up with its image being formed somewhere besides the ocular. Help!

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2015-03-23 kl. 19.35.39.png
    Skjermbilde 2015-03-23 kl. 19.35.39.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 618
Physics news on Phys.org
Can somebody assist me?

Wminus said:
What is F2?

Do you know what is F1 is?

F1 is the focus of the curved mirror, f2 is the mirrored f1. I was a bit confused because it didn't seem like f2 was a focus when i drew rays, but i see i was weong now.

Also, the telescope can't be telecentric because then it would perform an orthographic projection, which means the size of objects seen thru it (eg stars) wouldn't decrease in size as they get farther away. This is impossible

How about this- if you 'unfold' the light path and think of the obscuration as a 'dummy' surface, where is the aperture stop located? Where is the exit pupil located?

Andy Resnick said:
How about this- if you 'unfold' the light path and think of the obscuration as a 'dummy' surface, where is the aperture stop located? Where is the exit pupil located?

What do you mean with unfold? The plane mirror is the aperture stop, I know that.

Hmm, so you are saying that since the plane mirror is ahead of the focus of the curved mirror, it must mean that it will produce a virtual image from the curved mirror. OK, but what happens when the ocular focuses the light image of the aperture stop? Where will the exit pupil end up?

The plane mirror is the aperture stop, I know that
What makes you think you know that ? What limits the amount of light that takes part in the image formation ?

Then: in the figure 1 the ray trajectories from the mirror up to F2 have been unfolded by drawing the dashed lines to F1. You can draw the eye lens and the observer to the left of F1 to simplify the picture. Of course now the observer is in the light path, but to understand the working, imagine the concave mirror is big enough (or that the eye is a camera).

A second unfolding step can be made by replacing the concave mirror by a convex lens (same diameter and focal distance). So you flip the eye lens and the observer to the right. The image is at the righthand side at same distance as F1. And you have a Keplerian telescope. Study some keplerian telescope ray diagrams, e.g. here .

Likes Wminus
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/an-eyepiece-primer/
F2 is where the telescope's parabolic mirror forms the image that is viewed with the eyepiece.
Note that the eyepiece is positioned so that it forms an image of this at infinity, that is the eyepiece lens'
focal point is also located at F2. This is evident form the parallel rays exiting the eyepiece.

Last edited:
Likes Wminus
thanks guys

BvU said:
What makes you think you know that ? What limits the amount of light that takes part in the image formation ?

Then: in the figure 1 the ray trajectories from the mirror up to F2 have been unfolded by drawing the dashed lines to F1. You can draw the eye lens and the observer to the left of F1 to simplify the picture. Of course now the observer is in the light path, but to understand the working, imagine the concave mirror is big enough (or that the eye is a camera).

A second unfolding step can be made by replacing the concave mirror by a convex lens (same diameter and focal distance). So you flip the eye lens and the observer to the right. The image is at the righthand side at same distance as F1. And you have a Keplerian telescope. Study some keplerian telescope ray diagrams, e.g. here .
Ahh, so it's the ocular that is the aperture stop? OK, if I image the ocular towards the left, it seems like its object-side image never focuses => the entrance pupil is infinitely away => the telescope is image-side telecentric.

However, the EXIT pupil is just the ocular, and hence it's not object side telecentric.

OK; but what about the plane mirror? It doesn't act like an aperture stop? After all, it significantly limits the amount of light coming into the system.

And by the way, in a real reflector telescope, can you see an image of the plane mirror when you look inside the ocular?

Wminus said:
And by the way, in a real reflector telescope, can you see an image of the plane mirror when you look inside the ocular?

Only if your mirror is bad or dirty or you have a giant hole in the side of the tube. The telescope tube is usually sealed everywhere but the aperture and where you stick the eyepiece in so that no light can get inside unless it comes through the aperture and is focused by the primary mirror. If I punched a hole in the side of the tube and shined a flashlight in you can be certain that you'd lose most of the contrast in your image thanks to all the extra light being scattered and reflected about. Since there are no light sources inside the tube all of the light normally entering the eyepiece comes from the sky. In order to see the secondary mirror you'd need the mirror to be very dirty, so that you could see the dirt, or be in terrible shape, with the reflective coating missing in large patches or the surface to be very rough and uneven. If it's clean, smooth, and shiny then it's just going to reflect the image of the sky like it's supposed to.

Likes Wminus
I would like to see your (failed) ray diagram.

Related to Understanding Telecentricity in Newtonian Telescopes

1. What is a Newtonian telescope?

A Newtonian telescope is a type of reflecting telescope invented by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. It uses a concave parabolic mirror to collect and reflect light, creating an image for the observer.

2. How does a Newtonian telescope work?

In a Newtonian telescope, light enters through the front of the telescope and travels down the tube to the primary mirror. The primary mirror reflects the light to a smaller secondary mirror, which in turn reflects the light out of the side of the telescope to the eyepiece, where the image is magnified for the observer to see.

3. What are the advantages of a Newtonian telescope?

Newtonian telescopes are relatively inexpensive to build compared to other types of telescopes, making them accessible to amateur astronomers. They also offer a wide field of view, making them great for observing large objects like galaxies and star clusters.

4. What are the disadvantages of a Newtonian telescope?

One major disadvantage of a Newtonian telescope is that it is prone to chromatic aberration, which is the distortion of colors in the image. This is due to the use of a single mirror, rather than multiple lenses, to collect and focus light. Additionally, the secondary mirror can obstruct the view, reducing the amount of light that reaches the eyepiece.

5. How can I improve the quality of images from a Newtonian telescope?

To improve the quality of images from a Newtonian telescope, you can use a coma corrector, which helps reduce the distortion caused by the shape of the primary mirror. You can also regularly clean and collimate (align) the mirrors to ensure the best possible image. Using high-quality eyepieces and filters can also enhance the viewing experience.