Understanding the .5 in Kinematic Equations

In summary, the unknown .5 was incorporated into the kinematic equation by realizing it during lab and doubling the values derived for acceleration.
checker

Homework Statement

Knowing and understanding the kinematic equation's variables x1, x0, v0, t, and a, how has .5 been incorporated into the equation?

I realized this unknown during lab. Now, as I've nearly completed my analysis, I find that the values I've derived for acceleration should be doubled!

Homework Equations

x1 = x0 + (v0 * t) + (.5 * a * t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

By using dimensional analysis one can determine that each side of the equation yields distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Constant acceleration

[tex]v= \int a dt = at+C[/tex]

t=0,v=v0

[tex]x=\int v dt = \int (v_0 +at) dt = v_o t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 +C_1[/tex]

t=0,x=x0⇒C1=x0

x=x0+v0t+½at2

how exactly do your values show that the '½' should be '2'?

I'm using Δx/Δt/Δt to produce a value for acceleration. When that value is applied to the kinematic equation, it returns value that does not coincide with the experimental result. By removing the .5, the answer is correct.

That's because Δx/Δt/Δt is not acceleration. Δx/Δt is not the maximum speed attained in Δt; it's the average speed, which is half the maximum speed (assuming constant acceleration). Acceleration would be 2Δx/Δt/Δt.

checker said:
I'm using Δx/Δt/Δt to produce a value for acceleration.
That is incorrect. The acceleration is Δv/Δt.

However, Δv is not the same as Δx/Δt, because: Δv is the change in velocity, while Δx/Δt is the average velocity.

For an easy example, consider the case of a constant (but nonzero) velocity. Clearly Δv and a are both zero. However Δx/Δt is not zero since the object is moving at constant velocity.

ideasrule said:
That's because Δx/Δt/Δt is not acceleration. Δx/Δt is not the maximum speed attained in Δt; it's the average speed, which is half the maximum speed (assuming constant acceleration). Acceleration would be 2Δx/Δt/Δt.
If one is starting from rest, yes that is true.

I was incorrectly using a vavg for Δv. I've changed my velocity calculations to reflect an instantaneous velocity, and so my calculations for acceleration are correct and my kinematic equation produces a correct result without any modification.

Related to Understanding the .5 in Kinematic Equations

1. What does the .5 in kinematic equations represent?

The .5 in kinematic equations represents the constant acceleration due to gravity, which is typically denoted as "g" and has a value of 9.8 m/s^2.

2. Why is the .5 necessary in kinematic equations?

The .5 is necessary because it is a result of integrating the acceleration function twice. This integration is necessary to find the final position or velocity of an object under constant acceleration.

3. Can the .5 be omitted in kinematic equations?

No, the .5 cannot be omitted as it is a fundamental part of the equations and its absence would result in incorrect calculations.

4. How does the .5 affect the overall result in kinematic equations?

The .5 affects the overall result by halving the value of the squared term, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the final position or velocity.

5. Is the value of .5 constant in all kinematic equations?

Yes, the value of .5 is constant in all kinematic equations as it represents the same constant acceleration due to gravity.

Back