Understanding the algebra behind these limit problems

In summary: Why do you have ##b+0## in the numerator?In summary, the conversation discussed finding the limit at negative infinity for the expression: $$\lim_{x \to -∞}{\sqrt{x^2 + bx + c} - x}.$$ Multiple approaches were suggested, including using conjugates, substitution, and dividing by the highest power in the denominator. The final answer was found to be b/
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

$$\lim_{x \to -∞}{\sqrt{x^2 + bx + c} - x}.$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So in problem 1, once I got to a point where I am to divide by the highest power in the denominator(x) I get something like:
$$\lim_{x \to -∞}\frac{bx+c}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}+x}$$

Now what I want to clarify for myself is if the following is correct:
$$\lim_{x \to -∞}\frac{bx+c}{\sqrt{x^2}\sqrt{1+b/x+c/x^2}+x}$$
$$\lim_{x \to -∞}\frac{b+c/x}{(|x|/x)\sqrt{1+b/x+c/x^2}+1)}$$
$$\lim_{x \to -∞}\frac{b+0}{(x)/(x)\sqrt{1+0+0}+1}$$
and you get $$b/2$$

So, when you have $$\frac{|x|}{(x)}$$ how would I go about dividing it in this situation? I know that if we are looking at a left sided limit of say 0, |x| = -(x) and vice versa for the right sided limit.

But this limit is at negative infinity, so how would it work in this situation? Please let me know if I'm wrong in my algebra approach here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\sqrt{x^2}= -x## when ##x \rightarrow -\infty##

Likes Arnoldjavs3
Math_QED said:
##\sqrt{x^2}= -x## when ##x \rightarrow -\infty##
Wouldn't that give me b/0?

Try multiplying by ##\sqrt{x^2 - x} - x## over itself (i.e., multiplying by 1).

Edit: Original problem was changed, so this advice no longer applies.

Last edited:
Jesus I had just realized I wrote down the wrong problem. Going to change it

Okay... so at this point is where I'm confused if I'm wrong/right:

$$\frac{b+c/x}{\sqrt{x^2}\sqrt{1+b/x+c/x^2} + x}$$$$\frac{b+c/x}{{|x|/x}\sqrt{1+b/x+c/x^2} + x}$$

$$\frac{b+0}{{-(x)/x}\sqrt{1+0+0} + x}$$

and then I get b/0 which is not the correct answer. Where did I go wrong here?

Is this still the problem?

If so, you can evaluate it almost directly -- you don't need to multiply by the conjugate over itself, which was my earlier hint.

Mark44 said:
Is this still the problem?

If so, you can evaluate it almost directly -- you don't need to multiply by the conjugate over itself, which was my earlier hint.
So basically multiply it by $$\frac{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}$$ ?
$$\lim_{x\to -∞}\frac{2x^2+bx+c}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}-x}$$
Then I divided by the highest power in the denominator(x) and evaluated it at -∞ to get this:

$$\lim_{x \to -∞}\frac{2(-∞)+b}{\sqrt{1 +0 + 0} - 1}.$$ Is what I got, which ended up being -∞/0. Where am I messing up? The answer is b/2(which I coincidentally got in the OP but it was done incorrectly)

Arnoldjavs3 said:
So basically multiply it by $$\frac{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}$$ ?
$$\lim_{x\to -∞}\frac{2x^2+bx+c}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}-x}$$
What I said was "you DON'T need to multiply by the conjugate over itself."
Arnoldjavs3 said:
Then I divided by the highest power in the denominator(x) and evaluated it at -∞ to get this:

$$\lim_{x \to -∞}\frac{2(-∞)+b}{\sqrt{1 +0 + 0} - 1}.$$ Is what I got, which ended up being -∞/0. Where am I messing up? The answer is b/2(which I coincidentally got in the OP but it was done incorrectly)
Also, the work just above isn't kosher -- you don't plug in ##\infty##.

$$\frac{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}$$ Is not the conjugate

I thought you had meant to multiply both the numerator and the denominator by itself(because this evaluates to 1). Could you further elaborate on what you meant?

Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So in problem 1, once I got to a point where I am to divide by the highest power in the denominator(x) I get something like:
$$\lim_{x \to -∞}\frac{bx+c}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}+x}$$
$$\lim_{x \to -\infty} \left[ \sqrt{x^2+bx+c}-x \right] = \lim_{t \to +\infty} \left[ \sqrt{t^2 - bt +c} + t \right],$$
by taking ##x = -t##. Note that ##\sqrt{t^2 - b t + c} = \sqrt{t^2} \sqrt{1-z} = t \sqrt{1-z}##, where ##z = (bt-c)/t^2 \to 0## as ##t \to \infty##. (Note that for ##t > 0## we have ##\sqrt{t^2} = t##.)

Arnoldjavs3 said:
$$\frac{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}{\sqrt{x^2+bx+c}- x}$$ Is not the conjugate
Right, it's not the conjugate over itself, but what's the point of doing this? My comment about multiplying by the conjugate over itself (which is 1) applied to the original problem, which you changed.
Arnoldjavs3 said:
I thought you had meant to multiply both the numerator and the denominator by itself(because this evaluates to 1). Could you further elaborate on what you meant?

My prof stated that this question was supposed to be the limit at infinity, not negative infinity.

My approach was correct in the original post however I put $$|x|/x$$ = $$(x)/x$$ at negative infinity which was my mistake.

Ray Vickson said:
$$\lim_{x \to -\infty} \left[ \sqrt{x^2+bx+c}-x \right] = \lim_{t \to +\infty} \left[ \sqrt{t^2 - bt +c} + t \right],$$
by taking ##x = -t##. Note that ##\sqrt{t^2 - b t + c} = \sqrt{t^2} \sqrt{1-z} = t \sqrt{1-z}##, where ##z = (bt-c)/t^2 \to 0## as ##t \to \infty##. (Note that for ##t > 0## we have ##\sqrt{t^2} = t##.)

Is there a thereom/name for what you're doing here? I've never seen this before

Mark44 said:
Right, it's not the conjugate over itself, but what's the point of doing this? My comment about multiplying by the conjugate over itself (which is 1) applied to the original problem, which you changed.

What were you suggesting with the other problem? Just for reference

Ray Vickson said:
Arnoldjavs3 said:
Is there a thereom/name for what you're doing here? I've never seen this before
AFAIK, this doesn't rise to the level of needing a theorem to justify it. All that's going on is substitution.

Mark44 said:

Arnoldjavs3 said:
What were you suggesting with the other problem? Just for reference
If you are working with a limit in the form of ##\frac{a + b}c##, and both numerator and denominator evaluate to 0 (or both are infinite), it can sometimes be helpful to multiply by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself. I.e., work with ##\frac{a + b}c \cdot \frac{a - b}{a - b} = \frac{a^2 - b^2}{c(a - b)}##.

FAQ: Understanding the algebra behind these limit problems

1. What is algebra and why is it important in understanding limit problems?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations. It is important in understanding limit problems because it allows us to express and manipulate complex mathematical concepts in a more concise and systematic way.

2. How does algebra help us solve limit problems?

Algebra provides us with a set of tools and techniques that can be used to simplify and transform expressions, making it easier to evaluate limits. By using algebraic manipulation, we can often rewrite a limit problem in a simpler form that is easier to evaluate.

3. What are the common algebraic techniques used in solving limit problems?

Some common algebraic techniques used in solving limit problems include factoring, simplifying rational expressions, and using algebraic identities such as the difference of squares or the sum/difference of cubes. These techniques can help us simplify complex expressions and ultimately find the limit.

4. How can I apply algebra to real-world problems involving limits?

Algebra can be applied to real-world problems involving limits by first representing the problem using mathematical symbols and then using algebraic techniques to simplify the expression. This can help us understand the behavior of a system as it approaches a certain value or condition.

5. Are there any tips for using algebra to solve limit problems more efficiently?

Some tips for using algebra to solve limit problems more efficiently include understanding algebraic rules and properties, practicing regularly, and breaking down complex expressions into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the basic algebraic operations and how they can be used to manipulate expressions.