Understanding the Atomic Mechanisms Behind Light Deflection in Mirrors

In summary: If you take a perfect reflection mirror, the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. How can this be explained on the atomic level? This is because the mirror reflects all of the energy that hits it.
yyouth24
Sorry for misconception. Why the mirror deflects light was the question? Because of the electronic configuration and how?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I think a lot of math need to be done to answer your question. But qualitatively, if you take into account that light behaves like particle and abide by the mechanical equation of collision, and treat the surface atoms of the reflection material as rigid balls, you will get it quickly, though less rigorously.

all interfaces reflect, glass too. mirrors just reflect most of the energy where as glass doesn't

When the photon of light strikes any surface, it will be absorbed by the atoms of that surface, and then those atoms will release new photons. Those newly created photons is what appears to be the reflected light.

ice109 said:
all interfaces reflect, glass too. mirrors just reflect most of the energy where as glass doesn't
You're right. I think I remember that plain glass has a reflection of around 4%. I'll have to see if I can dig that up.

FredGarvin said:
I think I remember that plain glass has a reflection of around 4%.
That's about right. Assuming normal incidence and an index of refraction of about 1.5, you'll get about 4% reflection.

I though tha glass only refracts and mildly reflects light. Could you educate me?

I'd say that 4% reflected is mild compared to 96% transmitted.

All of this is covered in detail in Feynman's sustained flight of genius, QED. He actually derives most of these effects quantitatively, in a popular science book! Feynman leaves Stephen Hawking panting by the roadside.

Molu

So, where does 'deflect' come into play?

but if the atom absorbs the energy and the re-emits it at the same frequency, why does it re-emit in one direction. For example, take a perfect reflection mirror - the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. How can this be explained on the atomic level?

FAQ: Understanding the Atomic Mechanisms Behind Light Deflection in Mirrors

1. Why does light bend when it passes through glass?

When light travels through a medium, such as glass, it slows down due to the particles in the medium. This change in speed causes the light to change direction, or refract, as it enters and exits the glass.

2. How does the shape of the glass affect the deflection of light?

The shape of the glass can affect how much the light is deflected. For example, a convex lens will cause light to converge and focus, while a concave lens will cause light to diverge and spread out.

3. What factors determine the amount of light deflection in glass?

The amount of light deflection in glass depends on the angle at which the light enters and exits the glass, as well as the refractive index of the glass. The higher the refractive index, the greater the deflection of light.

4. Why do different colors of light bend at different angles when passing through glass?

Different colors of light have different wavelengths, which causes them to bend at different angles when passing through glass. This is known as dispersion and is responsible for the separation of colors in a prism.

5. Can light pass through glass without being deflected?

No, light cannot pass through glass without being deflected because glass has a different refractive index than air. Even if the light passes straight through the glass, it will still experience a slight change in direction due to the change in medium.