Understanding the Big Union Notation: Simple Examples and Explanation

• Thread starter Pithikos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Union
In summary, this Union formula is used to union sets of indexed elements, but the sets must be defined beforehand.
Pithikos
In my discrete math book there is half a page with very formal explanation of the big Union notation and two very short examples without guidance so I have a hard time understanding what goes on. Here's a http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8507/unionl.jpg" .

I know the Summation formula and I could understand this Union formula if it didn't have that Ai that came from nowhere. Could someone please give a simple example on this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a general definition of what we refer to as index sets. Indexes appear in all branches of mathematics, and you've undoubtedly seen them before. Many times where you see a "subscript", that's usually an indication that something is being indexed by the subscript.

The case here is not much different. The first definition (3.10) is read as "...the set [tex]A_{i}[/tex] indexed by [tex]i\in{I}[/tex]." The union and intersections shown there are just the union -- or intersection -- of such [tex]A_{i}[/tex].

discrete* said:
This is a general definition of what we refer to as index sets. Indexes appear in all branches of mathematics, and you've undoubtedly seen them before. Many times where you see a "subscript", that's usually an indication that something is being indexed by the subscript.

The case here is not much different. The first definition (3.10) is read as "...the set [tex]A_{i}[/tex] indexed by [tex]i\in{I}[/tex]." The union and intersections shown there are just the union -- or intersection -- of such [tex]A_{i}[/tex].

I understand the index part. I just can't understand what that has to do with the union of some elements.

For example say that set I is {1,2,3,4}. Then I have Q={1, 3}, W={5, 7}, E={100,101}, R={5, 10} and I want to unite those together. If I apply the formula I would get:

[tex]\bigcup^{}_{i \in I}[/tex]Ai=A1[tex]\cup[/tex]A2[tex]\cup[/tex]A3[tex]\cup[/tex]A4

Which doesn't make sense to me as A1, A2.. are not defined anywhere. With my thinking this would work only if instead of Q, W, E and R, I used A1, A2, A3 and A4 when naming my sets.

Pithikos said:
I understand the index part. I just can't understand what that has to do with the union of some elements.

For example say that set I is {1,2,3,4}. Then I have Q={1, 3}, W={5, 7}, E={100,101}, R={5, 10} and I want to unite those together. If I apply the formula I would get:

[tex]\bigcup^{}_{i \in I}[/tex]Ai=A1[tex]\cup[/tex]A2[tex]\cup[/tex]A3[tex]\cup[/tex]A4

Which doesn't make sense to me as A1, A2.. are not defined anywhere. With my thinking this would work only if instead of Q, W, E and R, I used A1, A2, A3 and A4 when naming my sets.

You lost me. Why is A1, A2 not defined? And where/why are the other sets coming into play?

Yes, it is implicit that the set [tex]\{A_i\}_{i \in I}[/tex], which is the set of A_i for any i in I must be defined before you take the union of them [tex]\bigcup_{i \in I}A_i[/tex].

Pithikos said:

This formula is the union of teh Ai's. If the Ai's aren't the sets you want to union, then this formula won't compute their union. :-p

With my thinking this would work only if instead of Q, W, E and R, I used A1, A2, A3 and A4 when naming my sets.
Why "instead of"? You get to choose what I and what the Ai's are.

Incidentally, you could have instead used I = {Q,W,E,R} and set Ai=i. Or, you could forgo temporary variables entirely and write:
[tex]\bigcup_{x\in \{Q,W,E,R\}} x[/tex]​

Ok thanks! I got it :biggrin:

FAQ: Understanding the Big Union Notation: Simple Examples and Explanation

What is the big Union?

The big Union refers to the European Union, a political and economic union of 27 member states located primarily in Europe.

What is the purpose of the big Union?

The purpose of the big Union is to promote economic, social, and political cooperation among its member states, as well as to ensure peace and stability in the region.

How many countries are in the big Union?

As of 2021, there are 27 member states in the big Union.

When was the big Union founded?

The big Union was founded on November 1, 1993, with the signing of the Maastricht Treaty.

What are the main institutions of the big Union?

The main institutions of the big Union include the European Commission, the European Council, the European Parliament, the Court of Justice, and the European Central Bank.

Back