Understanding the Contradictory Definitions of Work Done in Physics Textbooks

In summary, the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. However, the definition of work done can appear contradictory in certain circumstances, such as when dealing with forces like friction and normal forces. In these cases, the concept of "work done against" or "pseudowork" is used to clarify and distinguish between the physical and energy aspects of work. Ultimately, the precise definition of work done is dependent on the specific situation and forces involved.
Deep_Thinker97
In my maths textbook, it says that work done can be defined as Force x Distance moved in direction of force, AND change in kinetic energy. I feel both these definitions can be contradictory
Example:
A box moves at a constant velocity along a rough horizontal plane. It has a driving force of 5N and moves 3m. What is the work done against friction?
Well the frictional force is 5N since the box is at a constant velocity. Therefore, work done (against friction)=5N x 3m= 15Nm or 15J (this was the actual example in the book)
But, work done is also defined as the change in kinetic energy. This cannot be applied to this example as the box is traveling at a constant velocity so there is no change in kinetic energy.
I understand that there are some examples where work done does equal change in kinetic energy, but I don't understand what conditions must apply for this to be true (or not true)
How can the definition of work done be one thing under one circumstance and something different in another circumstance?
What is the actual, universal, definition of work done that is right in all circumstances?

Physics news on Phys.org
The net work done by all forces acting on an object, equals the change in the object's KE.

In your example of the box sliding on a rough surface against friction, at constant velocity, the driving force does 15 J of work. The frictional force acting on the box does -15 J of work. The net work done on the box is 15 - 15 = 0 J.

Likes PFuser1232
Deep_Thinker97 said:
In my maths textbook, it says that work done can be defined as Force x Distance moved in direction of force
That's correct and is the definition of work.

Deep_Thinker97 said:
AND change in kinetic energy.
That's not quite correct. The net work on an object will equal the change in its kinetic energy. In your example, there is no net work done.

There are a few subtleties here, but that's the main idea.

Deep_Thinker97 said:
In my maths textbook, it says that work done can be defined as Force x Distance moved in direction of force, AND change in kinetic energy. I feel both these definitions can be contradictory
<snip>

Just to add a bit: the "work-energy theorem" F⋅d = Δ(1/2 mv2) is a re-statement of F= ma (substituting one of the kinematics equations for 'a'). Thus, while it is a correct dynamical statement about forces, it is not a correct energy statement- and as you note, friction can't be simply plugged in. Neither can the normal force. Using the phrase "work done against friction" helps remind us of that: we couldn't say 'work done by friction'. Similarly, considering a person jumping vertically, so that their center of mass moves while still in contact with the ground, shows that the normal force can't do work.

Some people use the term 'pseudowork' when discussing friction and normal forces for this reason.

Andy Resnick said:
Just to add a bit: the "work-energy theorem" F⋅d = Δ(1/2 mv2) is a re-statement of F= ma (substituting one of the kinematics equations for 'a'). Thus, while it is a correct dynamical statement about forces, it is not a correct energy statement- and as you note, friction can't be simply plugged in. Neither can the normal force. Using the phrase "work done against friction" helps remind us of that: we couldn't say 'work done by friction'. Similarly, considering a person jumping vertically, so that their center of mass moves while still in contact with the ground, shows that the normal force can't do work.

Some people use the term 'pseudowork' when discussing friction and normal forces for this reason.
Exactly.

These are the precise 'subtleties' that I had in mind in my last post. :) (And I have written at length about pseudowork many times here.)

FAQ: Understanding the Contradictory Definitions of Work Done in Physics Textbooks

1. What is the definition of work done?

The definition of work done is the amount of energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on the object. It is typically measured in joules (J) and is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is work done calculated?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied. Mathematically, this can be represented as W = F x d, where W is work done, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the difference between work done and power?

Work done is a measure of the amount of energy transferred to or from an object, while power is a measure of how quickly this energy is transferred. In other words, work done is the total amount of energy transferred, while power is the rate at which this energy is transferred.

4. Can negative work be done?

Yes, negative work can be done. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the displacement. In this case, the work done would be negative, indicating that energy is being taken away from the object rather than transferred to it.

5. How is work done related to potential and kinetic energy?

Work done is directly related to both potential and kinetic energy. When work is done on an object, its potential energy increases, and when work is done by an object, its potential energy decreases. Additionally, work done can also change an object's kinetic energy by changing its speed or direction of motion.