Understanding the Dex Error System in Black Hole Mass Measurements

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of "dex" in astronomy, which is a logarithmic unit used to express black hole masses. It is equivalent to the bel and is defined as 10x, with the notation now being used after the exponent. The name "dex" is a contraction of "decimal exponent" and there is a definition of dex on the website provided. The person is seeking clarification on the concept as they have not encountered it before in their research.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

I've been reading various journal articles about black hole masses. The values given there are given by X +/- Y dex. I cannot find any literature on "dex" nor do the articles go into detail as it is evidently a basic concept that I've just never come across.

Could someone enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
from this website I got the definition of dex as:

dex
a logarithmic unit being used in astronomy. Originally, dex was a convenient function defined by dex (x) = 10x. But the notation is now being used after the exponent in expressions such as -.043 dex, meaning 10-.043. Thus 1 dex equals a factor of 10, making the dex identical to the bel. The name "dex" is a contraction of "decimal exponent."

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictD.html

FAQ: Understanding the Dex Error System in Black Hole Mass Measurements

What is the Dex Error System?

The Dex Error System is a method used in astronomy to calculate the uncertainty or margin of error in measurements of black hole masses. It takes into account various sources of error, such as instrumental errors, statistical errors, and systematic errors, to provide a more accurate estimate of the true value of a black hole's mass.

Why is the Dex Error System important?

The Dex Error System is important because it allows scientists to have a better understanding of the uncertainties associated with black hole mass measurements. This is crucial for accurately interpreting and comparing data from different studies and for making reliable conclusions about the properties and behaviors of black holes.

How is the Dex Error System calculated?

The Dex Error System is calculated by taking into account several factors, such as the precision of the instruments used, the quality of the data, and the assumptions and limitations of the measurement technique. These factors are combined using statistical methods to determine the overall uncertainty of the measurement.

What are the limitations of the Dex Error System?

Like any measurement system, the Dex Error System has its limitations. It relies on assumptions and simplifications, and it may not be able to account for all sources of error. Additionally, the accuracy of the system depends on the quality of the data and the techniques used, which can vary between studies.

Can the Dex Error System be applied to other types of measurements?

Yes, the Dex Error System can be applied to other types of measurements besides black hole masses. It is a general method for estimating uncertainties in scientific measurements and can be adapted to different fields of study. However, the specific factors and calculations may vary depending on the type of measurement being analyzed.