Understanding the Difference of Squares in Limits: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a limit problem involving a difference of squares. The solution involves multiplying the top and bottom of a fraction by a specific expression to simplify the problem. The conversation also mentions the appearance of the number 2 in the solution.
Monochrome
I'm reviewing material for my exams and I came across this:

[tex]\lim _{x\rightarrow \infty }\sqrt {{x}^{2}+x+1}-\sqrt {{x}^{2}-3\,x}[/tex]

The only explanation it gives is "By the difference of squares" the solution sheet then jumps to:

[tex]\lim _{x\rightarrow \infty }{\frac {4\,x+1}{\sqrt {{x}^{2}+x+1}+\sqrt
{{x}^{2}-3\,x}}}[/tex]

What the hell just happened there? I can solve from then on but I've no idea what's happening on this step. Also an idiot proof link would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the first line as [tex]\lim _{x\rightarrow \infty }\frac{\sqrt {{x}^{2}+x+1}-\sqrt {{x}^{2}-3\,x}}{1}[/tex], then multiply top and bottom of the fraction by [itex]\sqrt {{x}^{2}+x+1}+\sqrt {{x}^{2}-3\,x}[/itex]. Does this make the second line any clearer?

*Hits head on wall*
Yes, thanks.

I just tried it myself; how does "2" seem?

symbolipoint said:
I just tried it myself; how does "2" seem?
2 sounds good, since the function looks like
[tex]\frac{4x}{\sqrt{x^2} + \sqrt{x^2}} = 2[/tex]
when x is big.

Related to Understanding the Difference of Squares in Limits: A Comprehensive Guide

What is the "Difference of Squares"?

The "Difference of Squares" is a mathematical term used to describe the result of subtracting one perfect square number from another perfect square number. It is represented as (a^2 - b^2) where a and b are both integers.

How do you find the "Difference of Squares"?

To find the "Difference of Squares," you must first identify the two perfect square numbers that are being subtracted from each other. Then, you simply subtract the smaller perfect square from the larger one to get the result.

What is an example of "Difference of Squares"?

An example of "Difference of Squares" is (9^2 - 4^2) which equals 81 - 16 = 65. In this case, 9 and 4 are the perfect square numbers being subtracted from each other.

What is the importance of "Difference of Squares" in mathematics?

The "Difference of Squares" is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in many different types of equations and formulas. It also helps to simplify and solve more complex mathematical problems.

How is the "Difference of Squares" related to factoring?

The "Difference of Squares" is closely related to factoring because it is a type of factoring that involves finding the factors of a perfect square number. It can also be used to factorize more complex polynomials by using the "Difference of Squares" formula.