Understanding the Dirac Delta Identity to Fetter and Walecka's Formula

thatboi
Hi all,
I'm trying to verify the following formula (from Fetter and Walecka, just below equation (12.38)) but it doesn't quite make sense to me:
1698982648509.png

where
1698982665862.png
and
1698982691234.png

The authors are using the fact that ##\delta(ax) = |a|^{-1}\delta(x)## but to me, it seems like the ##\textbf{q}\cdot\textbf{k}-\frac{1}{2}q^{2}## are missing factors of ##\frac{1}{k_{F}^2}## right?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the definition you copied you get
$$q_0=\frac{\hbar k_F^2 \nu}{m}$$ and thus
$$\delta(q_0-\omega_{\boldsymbol{qk}})=\delta \left (\frac{\hbar k_F^2}{m} \nu -\frac{\hbar}{m} (\boldsymbol{q} \cdot \boldsymbol{k} + \frac{1}{2} q^2) \right)=\frac{m}{\hbar k_F^2} \delta \left (\nu- \frac{\boldsymbol{q} \cdot \boldsymbol{k} + q^2/2}{k_F^2} \right).$$

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
From the definition you copied you get
$$q_0=\frac{\hbar k_F^2 \nu}{m}$$ and thus
$$\delta(q_0-\omega_{\boldsymbol{qk}})=\delta \left (\frac{\hbar k_F^2}{m} \nu -\frac{\hbar}{m} (\boldsymbol{q} \cdot \boldsymbol{k} + \frac{1}{2} q^2) \right)=\frac{m}{\hbar k_F^2} \delta \left (\nu- \frac{\boldsymbol{q} \cdot \boldsymbol{k} + q^2/2}{k_F^2} \right).$$
Ok cool that was what I got as well. Perhaps I missed some other definition along the way.

Likes bhobba

FAQ: Understanding the Dirac Delta Identity to Fetter and Walecka's Formula

What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, often represented as δ(x), is a mathematical construct used to model an infinitely high, infinitely narrow spike at a single point, such that its integral over the entire real line is equal to one. It is not a function in the traditional sense but rather a distribution or a generalized function.

How is the Dirac Delta function used in Fetter and Walecka's formula?

In Fetter and Walecka's formula, the Dirac Delta function is employed to enforce constraints or to pick out specific values from a continuous set of variables. It is often used in the context of integral equations to simplify expressions and to handle boundary conditions in physical problems.

What is the significance of the identity involving the Dirac Delta function in physics?

The identity involving the Dirac Delta function is significant in physics because it allows for the simplification of integrals and the treatment of point sources or localized interactions. This is particularly useful in fields like quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, and statistical mechanics, where such localized effects are common.

Can you provide an example of an identity involving the Dirac Delta function?

One common identity involving the Dirac Delta function is the sifting property: \[ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta(x - a) \, dx = f(a) \]This property states that integrating a function multiplied by a Dirac Delta function centered at \( a \) will yield the value of the function at \( a \).

How does understanding the Dirac Delta function help in solving physical problems?

Understanding the Dirac Delta function helps in solving physical problems by providing a tool to model instantaneous interactions or point sources, simplifying the mathematical treatment of such problems. It allows physicists to handle discontinuities and localized phenomena in a rigorous way, facilitating the analysis and solution of complex integral equations and differential equations.