Understanding the Direction of Rotation for Stress State Equations

In summary, the plate is subjected to a uniform uniaxial tensile stress in all directions. The state of stress is the same in all directions, but the direction of the stress makes a difference in the later part of the question.
Master1022
TL;DR Summary
If we are given a set of stress state equations and we want to 'rotate' them, which direction shall I use?
Hi,

The context for my question is: A thin plate, which lies in the [itex] x-y [/itex] plane, contains a small hole of radius [itex] a [/itex]. Consider a polar co-ordinate system r,􏰆 with its origin at the centre of the hole and 􏰆defined as the angle that a radial line makes with the x-axis. A uniform uniaxial tensile stress 􏰋[itex] \sigma^{app}_x [/itex] is applied to the plate in the x-direction. The stress state in the plate is:
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 6.04.27 PM.png

Determine the state of stress in a plate that is subjected to a uniform uniaxial tensile stress 􏰋[itex] \sigma^{app}_y [/itex] which is aligned with the y-direction.

My Method:
I defined some new angle [itex] \phi = \theta + 90 [/itex] (CCW) (with the main point being that I chose to define it with a +). Following on, I got that: [itex] \sin(2(\theta + 90)) = -\sin(\theta) [/itex] and that [itex] \cos(2(\theta + 90)) = -\cos(\theta) [/itex]. Then we just substitute those into the three equations and change [itex] \sigma^{app}_x [/itex] to [itex] \sigma^{app}_y [/itex] to get the answer. The answers come out the same in this instance regardless of the direction of definition of the new angle. However, in later parts of the question, we basically follow the same method for rotating the state by 45 degrees, and the direction makes a difference there (some signs are different).

My question: Why has the solution chosen to define the 'new' [itex] \theta_{new} = \theta_{old} - 90 [/itex] (CW)?

(Note: I only posted the earlier question as the same exact concept applies to the later one, but there are more parts between now and then which would just unnecessarily add to the reading time)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with dyadic tensor notation?

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with dyadic tensor notation?
Thank you for your reply. I am not familiar with it. I have just done a quick search to see what it is, but I haven't seen it in my courses before.

Related to Understanding the Direction of Rotation for Stress State Equations

1. What is the significance of understanding the direction of rotation for stress state equations?

Understanding the direction of rotation for stress state equations is crucial in accurately predicting the behavior of materials under stress. It helps determine the direction in which a material will deform or fail, which is important in engineering and design processes.

2. How is the direction of rotation determined in stress state equations?

The direction of rotation is determined by the orientation of the principal stresses, which are the maximum and minimum stresses acting on a material. These stresses can be calculated using equations such as Mohr's circle or the Cauchy stress tensor.

3. What factors can affect the direction of rotation in stress state equations?

The direction of rotation can be affected by the type of material, its microstructure, and the type and magnitude of applied stress. Additionally, any external factors such as temperature, strain rate, and loading conditions can also influence the direction of rotation.

4. How does understanding the direction of rotation help in material testing?

In material testing, understanding the direction of rotation can help determine the appropriate loading conditions and testing methods to accurately measure the material's properties. It also allows for the comparison of test results with predicted values, aiding in the validation of stress state equations.

5. Can the direction of rotation change during the deformation of a material?

Yes, the direction of rotation can change during the deformation of a material. This is often observed in materials with complex microstructures or when subjected to high levels of stress. Understanding this change is important in accurately predicting the material's behavior and failure mechanisms.