Understanding the Distribution of Negation in Propositional Logic

In summary, the solution for the given problem involves using DeMorgan's Laws and converting the proposition to English. The correct answer is "I won't buy the pants without the shirt," which can also be phrased as "If I buy the pants, I will buy the shirt."
sunny79
Homework Statement
Let P stand for "I'll buy the pants.
Let S stand for "I'll buy the shirt.
What english sentence is represented by the formula
~(P ^ ~S)
Relevant Equations
~(P ^ ~S)
Given that the negation is distributed across parenthesis, P become ~p and S gets double negation ~~S. Hence my solution was " I will not buy the pants but I will buy the shirt. (or and I will buy the shirt, since but can be used in the place of and).

This is from How to prove things by Velleman 3rd edition, chapter 1, section 1.1. However, at the back the solution said I will not buy the pants without buying the shirt. That left me confused.

Look forward to the input.

Physics news on Phys.org
sunny79 said:
(or and I will buy the shirt, since but can be used in the place of and).
You haven't stated the rule correctly. The "and" must be changed to "or".

##\lnot( A \land B ) \iff \lnot A \lor \lnot B##

Hello Stephen! They provided the equation outlined below. My task was to convert it into english.
¬(P ^ ¬S). My shot at the solution was " I won't buy pants but I will buy shirt." The answer in the back stated " I won't buy pants without the shirt".

Last edited:
This problem might be an application of one of DeMorgan's Laws; namely, that ¬(P ^ ¬S) ⇔ ¬P ∨ S. The literal translation to English would be "I won't buy the pants or I will buy the shirt."
This proposition would be true in any of the following situations:
1. I don't buy the pants, and I buy the shirt. (both clauses true)
2. I don't buy the pants, and I don't buy the shirt. (first clause true, second clause false)
3. I buy the pants, and I buy the shirt. (first clause false, second clause true)
It's certainly the case that "I won't buy pants without the shirt," as the book's answer shows, but it seems to me that there are scenarios that this answer omits.

The proposition would be false if both clauses are false.
I buy the pants and I don't buy the shirt.

Likes sunny79
sunny79 said:
¬(P ^ ¬S). My shot at the solution was " I won't buy pants but I will buy shirt."

Your solution is equivalent to ##\lnot P \land S##. This is incorrect. As I mentioned before, the correct (intermediate) answer is ##\lnot P \lor S## (using ##\lor## instead of ##\land##).

An English equivalent of "I won't buy the pants without the shirt" is "If I buy the pants, I will buy the shirt". To proceed from the intermediate answer to an if...then phrasing use:

##(\lnot A \lor B) \iff (A \implies B)##

Likes sunny79

FAQ: Understanding the Distribution of Negation in Propositional Logic

1. What is propositional logic?

Propositional logic, also known as sentential logic, is a branch of mathematical logic that deals with the study of logical relationships between propositions (statements or sentences that can be either true or false).

2. What are the basic components of propositional logic?

The basic components of propositional logic are propositions, logical connectives, and truth values. Propositions are statements that can be either true or false, logical connectives are symbols that are used to combine propositions, and truth values are assigned to propositions to indicate whether they are true or false.

3. What is the difference between propositional logic and predicate logic?

Propositional logic deals with the logical relationships between propositions, while predicate logic deals with the logical relationships between objects and their properties. Propositional logic is more limited in scope, as it does not allow for the quantification of variables or the use of predicates.

4. How is propositional logic used in computer science?

Propositional logic is used in computer science for the development of algorithms and programming languages. It is also used in the design and analysis of digital circuits, as well as in artificial intelligence and automated reasoning systems.

5. What are some common applications of propositional logic?

Some common applications of propositional logic include solving logical puzzles, constructing truth tables, and evaluating the validity of arguments. It is also used in various fields such as mathematics, philosophy, linguistics, and computer science.