Understanding the Equalizing Nature of Negative Feedback in Op Amps

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of op amps in negative feedback and how both the positive and negative inputs are forced to be equal. The explanation provided applies to both inverting and non-inverting op amps, and clarifies that the terms "inverting" and "non-inverting" refer to the two inputs of any op amp. The explanation only works for feedback to the inverting input.
sidvelu
I understand how to apply op amps, but one thing about op amps had bugged me for some time. I want to know what about an op amp in negative feedback forces both the posotive and negative inputs to be equal. And could your explanation be for both an inverting and non inverting op amp.

Thanks! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
sidvelu said:
I understand how to apply op amps, but one thing about op amps had bugged me for some time. I want to know what about an op amp in negative feedback forces both the posotive and negative inputs to be equal.

Welcome back to PF.

If the (-) input were significantly lower than the (+) input, that would drive the output high, since [itex]V_{out}=A\cdot(V_+-V_-)[/itex]. And because of the feed back to the (-) input, driving the output high would raise the voltage at (-) input, driving it closer to the voltage at the (+) input.

A similar argument applies to considering if the (-) input were significantly higher then the (+) input.

And could your explanation be for both an inverting and non inverting op amp.
Not sure what you mean here. Op amps are not "inverting" or "non inverting", those terms refer to the two inputs of any op amp. The explanation only works for feedback to the inverting input, that I refer to as (-) above.

Last edited:
oh okay, that makes more sense now. I should've drawn that conclusion on my own, but i guess i was just being stupid.

Thanks alot!

Related to Understanding the Equalizing Nature of Negative Feedback in Op Amps

What is an OP amp?

An operational amplifier (OP amp) is a type of electronic amplifier that is commonly used in many applications such as analog and digital circuits, audio amplifiers, and signal processing. It is typically composed of a differential input stage, an amplifier stage, and an output stage, and is designed to have a high gain, high input impedance, and low output impedance.

What is the purpose of an OP amp?

The main purpose of an OP amp is to amplify an input signal. This means that it takes a small signal and increases its amplitude to a usable level. It also has the ability to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and integration of signals.

What are the key characteristics of an OP amp?

The key characteristics of an OP amp include high gain, high input impedance, low output impedance, and a wide bandwidth. It also has a high common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR), which means it can reject common-mode signals that appear on both inputs of the amplifier.

What are the different types of OP amps?

There are three main types of OP amps: inverting, non-inverting, and differential. Inverting OP amps have the input signal connected to the inverting terminal and the output signal is inverted. Non-inverting OP amps have the input signal connected to the non-inverting terminal and the output signal is non-inverted. Differential OP amps have two inputs and the output is the difference between the two inputs.

What are some common applications of OP amps?

OP amps have a wide range of applications, including audio amplifiers, signal conditioning, voltage regulation, filters, oscillators, and instrumentation amplifiers. They are also used in many electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and medical equipment.