Understanding the Force of Gravity, Step-by-Step

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force of gravity on an astronaut in an Earth Satellite at an altitude equal to Earth's radius. The correct answer is 225 N, which can be obtained by using the equation F=Gm1m2/r^2 and taking into account the distance between the astronaut and the centre of the Earth. The mistake of not considering the radius of the Earth in the calculation is also mentioned.
test2morrow

Homework Statement

An astronaut weighs 900 N when measured on the surface of Earth. How large would the force of gravity be if he were in an Earth Satellite at an altitude equal to Earth's radius?

The correct answer is 225 N. However, I need to know the exact steps taken to get the answer. I already tried many methods and I would appreciate somebody explaining it to me.

Homework Equations

I used F=Gm1m2/r^2

and w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged everything into above equation and got wrong answer. Correct answer is 225N which I cannot figure out.

Physics news on Phys.org
F = 900N = Gm1m2/r^2 when r is equal to Earth's radius

On a satellite at an altitude equal to Earth's radius, the distance between the astronaut and the centre of the Earth is doubled, so...

Answer = Gm1m2/(2r)^2 = (Gm1m2/r^2)/4 = 900/4 = 225 NewtonsNot taking the radius of the Earth into account with the calculations is a common mistake.

thanks, yeah i missed out on the radius of earth

Related to Understanding the Force of Gravity, Step-by-Step

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural force that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating out into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the presence of mass in an object. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This pull is what keeps objects in orbit around the Earth and causes them to fall towards the ground when dropped.

3. What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity?

The formula for calculating the force of gravity is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does distance affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases.

5. Can gravity be turned off or manipulated?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be turned off or manipulated. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the force of thrust from a rocket to escape Earth's gravity.