Understanding the Fusion and Perpetual Motion in Spider Man 2

• Thread starter grass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the fusion reaction created by "doctor octopus" failed because of a loss of containment. If the reaction were to continue without containment, it would result in a huge cloud of radioactive steam.
grass
hey i just watched spidey man2 and was wondering about that fusion thingy that "doctor octopus" created. what is it supposed to be? some sort of power source? i heard them saying something about perpetual motion.. could anyone explain what that is to me?
and.. at the very last part they drowned the huge fire thingy ( i don't know what to call that).. well my question is is that possible in real life? i mean can such a giant ball of firey substance just be stopped by drowning it?
i don't even know if these are sensible questions but pls try to help anyways..
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I was absolutely confused as to how that worked also. They said something about harnessing the suns power. I thought that they used tritium (isotope of hydrogen) as their "fuel" for fusion (stars use hydrogen). They would then heat it to extreme temperatures to induce fusion. However, when doc oc did it the first time, the star wouldn't reach an equilibrium (between gravity pulling inwards and pressure pushing outwards [stabilize as they called it]) and thus it exploded (much like a supernova). I think the mini star cannot sustain itself unless it stabilizes. While it is attempting to stabilize the power must be on to constantly allow the tritium fusion to occur. However, the star cannot simply be drowned. If water got anywhere near it, it would evaporate. Ergo, spidey had to shut the power off before it could be drowned in the water.

Now, i could be completely wrong. Does anyone know how it actually worked?

They used comic book physics, which bears no resemblance to real physics.

I just saw this movie yesterday, and you are completely justified in your confusion. In this post, I will focus on onyl one aspect; the highly dangerous loss of containment that the movie presented as being such a dire event.

In order for a fusion reaction to be sustained, there are a large number of factors which have to be maintained just exactly right. One of these factors is containment. If containment is lost, the reaction ceases. That is one of the reasons fusion power is so desirable, because it is so inherently safe. If the reaction were to run out of control, it will only cause the reaction to stop.

If in fact one had some kind of fusion reaction proceeding in such a way that loss of containment would not cause immediate shutdown, then submersion in water would be useless at best, catastrophic more likely. Ever heard of the "China syndrome"? The dousing in water would set up a huge cloud of radioactive steam which would cover most of the state.

shouldn't someone point out that there are spoilers in this thread :(

Related to Understanding the Fusion and Perpetual Motion in Spider Man 2

1. How does Spider-Man's web-slinging work?

Spider-Man's web-slinging ability is based on the concept of conservation of momentum. He uses his web shooters to shoot out a strong and sticky fluid that attaches to buildings, and then he pulls himself in the opposite direction, propelling himself forward with the same force as the web.

2. What is the science behind Spider-Man's wall-crawling ability?

Spider-Man's wall-crawling ability is made possible by tiny hairs on his hands and feet called setae. These hairs create intermolecular forces that allow him to stick to surfaces, similar to how geckos are able to climb walls.

3. How does Spider-Man's suit enhance his strength and durability?

Spider-Man's suit is made with a material called "liquid nano-armor," which is a highly durable and flexible substance that can withstand high impacts and prevent injury to his body. It also has built-in sensors that enhance his reflexes and agility.

4. Can Spider-Man's webbing really support his weight?

Yes, Spider-Man's webbing is shown to be strong enough to support his weight and the weight of other objects, such as cars or buildings. In real life, scientists have created synthetic spider silk that is stronger than steel, so it is possible for Spider-Man's webbing to support his weight.

5. How does Doctor Octopus' tentacle harness work?

Doctor Octopus' tentacle harness is powered by a combination of fusion energy and artificial intelligence. The harness amplifies his strength and allows him to control the tentacles with his mind. However, the harness also has a mind of its own, which can sometimes lead to conflict between Doctor Octopus and the tentacles.