Understanding the Heaviside Function: Solving the Equation for a Graph

In summary, the individual is struggling to find the equation for a graph and mentions it should resemble u(t)-2u(t-2). They ask for assistance and provide a description of the graph which shows it is 0 for t<0, 1 for 0<=t<2, and -1 for t>=2. They also mention that they have assumed u(t) is 0 for t<0 and 1 for t>=0. After receiving clarification, they realize they did understand the equation and thank the person for their help.
morry
hey guys, I am having a bit of trouble finding the equation for the following graph.

I know it should look something like: u(t)-2u(t-2), but I don't really understand it.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• awesomegraph.JPG
    awesomegraph.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
We can't view the graph yet as it is listed as an "Attachment Pending Approval". Describe it, e.g.

u(t)-2u(t-2), is 0 for t<0, 1 for 0<=t<2, and -1 for t>=2.

Note that I have assumed that u(t) is 0 for t<0 and 1 for t>=0.

Oh ok. Sorry about that.

Well: g(t)= 1 for 0<t<2
and g(t)= -1 for t>2

And g(t)=0 for t<0

edit: I just read what you wrote. It sounds like what I've got. Looks like I did kinda understand what I was doing afterall. Cheers.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding the Heaviside Function: Solving the Equation for a Graph

1. What is the Heaviside function problem?

The Heaviside function problem, also known as the Heaviside step function problem, is a mathematical problem involving the discontinuous function H(x), named after mathematician Oliver Heaviside. The problem arises when integrating H(x) over certain intervals, as the function is undefined at certain points and therefore does not have a well-defined integral.

2. What is the purpose of the Heaviside function in mathematics?

The Heaviside function is useful in mathematics as it serves as a convenient way to represent a step function, which is a function that is constant over certain intervals and jumps to a different value at specific points. It is also used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as in control theory and signal processing.

3. How is the Heaviside function defined?

The Heaviside function, denoted as H(x), is defined as:

H(x) = 0 for x < 0

H(x) = 1/2 for x = 0

H(x) = 1 for x > 0

It can also be written using the unit step function, u(x), as H(x) = u(x) - 1/2.

4. Why is the Heaviside function problematic when integrating?

The Heaviside function becomes problematic when integrating because it is undefined at certain points, making the integral also undefined. This is because the function has a jump discontinuity at x = 0, causing the integral to not have a well-defined value.

5. How is the Heaviside function problem typically resolved?

The Heaviside function problem is typically resolved by using a regularized version of the function, such as the smoothed Heaviside function or the regularized delta function, which are defined to have a well-defined integral. These functions are used in various applications where the Heaviside function is needed, such as in Fourier analysis and differential equations.