Understanding the Heine Borel Theorem: An In-Depth Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the Heine Borel Theorem and its proof. The first question asks about the necessity of showing "gamma=Beta" and clarifies that gamma must be greater than beta. The second question asks about the reasoning behind S_gamma+eps not having a finite subcovering, and if it is possible for it to have one. The conversation also mentions an updated version of the proof and asks for feedback on its validity and a question about the use of H_i, which is not defined.
kidsasd987
Hello, I have a question about Heine Borel Theorem.

First, I am not sure why we have to show
"gamma=Beta"
gamma is the supremum of F(which is equivalent to H_squiggly_bar in the text ), and it has to be greater than beta. Otherwise, S contains H_squiggly_barSecond, for the case 1, why S_gamma+eps does not have a finite subcovering? which definition the author is reffering to?

I understand sup(F) = gamma, so S_gamma-eps must have a finite subcovering because by definition H_squiggly_bar is a set of finite subcovering. But isn't there a possibility that S_gamma+eps also has a finite subcovering?

That consists of H_squiggly bar + some finite set that belongs to H but not contained within H_squiglly bar?

Attachments

• 스크린샷 2016-07-11 5.45.36 PM.png
    스크린샷 2016-07-11 5.45.36 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 638
  • 스크린샷 2016-07-11 5.45.30 PM.png
    스크린샷 2016-07-11 5.45.30 PM.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 581
  • Heine_Borel_Theorem.png
    Heine_Borel_Theorem.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,465
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Without the text, the notation you use needs to be defined.

mathman said:
Without the text, the notation you use needs to be defined.

I am sorry. This is the updated version. Do you think the proof is right? and what do you think of the question at the end?

Attachments

• Heine_Borel_2.png
    Heine_Borel_2.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 556
I am finding these attachments hard to read (type size). In the latest attachment, much of the analysis makes use of [itex]H_i[/itex], which is not defined.

Related to Understanding the Heine Borel Theorem: An In-Depth Analysis

1. What is the Heine-Borel Theorem?

The Heine-Borel Theorem is a fundamental theorem in real analysis that states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

2. What is the significance of the Heine-Borel Theorem?

The Heine-Borel Theorem has many important applications in mathematics, particularly in the fields of analysis and topology. It is used to prove many other theorems and is a fundamental tool in understanding the properties of compact sets.

3. What is the proof of the Heine-Borel Theorem?

The proof of the Heine-Borel Theorem involves showing that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This is done using the concepts of open covers, finite subcovers, and the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem.

4. What are some examples of applications of the Heine-Borel Theorem?

The Heine-Borel Theorem has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as real analysis, topology, and differential equations. It is used to prove the Intermediate Value Theorem, the Extreme Value Theorem, and the Heine-Cantor Theorem, among others.

5. Is the Heine-Borel Theorem valid in other spaces besides Euclidean space?

No, the Heine-Borel Theorem is only valid in Euclidean space. It does not hold in other metric spaces or topological spaces. However, there are similar theorems that hold in these spaces, such as the Arzela-Ascoli Theorem and the Tychonoff Theorem.