Understanding the Inequality for Solving Limits with Exponential Terms

• MHB
  • Thread starter Vali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses a limit problem involving a sequence and the use of an inequality to solve it. The inequality in question is $a^n \leq a^{\frac{n}{1}}+a^{\frac{n}{2}}+...+a^{\frac{n}{n}} \leq n \cdot a^n$ and it is used to prove that the limit is equal to $lna$. The speaker initially questions the origin and proof of the inequality, but eventually understands its validity through reasoning and the fact that there are only $n$ terms in the sum, each of which does not exceed $a^n$.
Vali
Hello!

$$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty }\frac{1}{n}ln(a^{\frac{n}{1}}+a^{\frac{n}{2}}+...+a^{\frac{n}{n}} ), \ a>1$$
I solved the limit by using the following inequality:
$$a^{n}\leq a^{\frac{n}{1}}+a^{\frac{n}{2}}+...+a^{\frac{n}{n}}\leq n\cdot a^{n}$$
After I applied a $ln$ and $1/n$ I got $lna$
My question is about that inequality.Where does this come from ?How can I prove it ?Should I notice something about the exercise to know I've to use this inequality?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this inequality obvious?

$$a^{n}\leq a^{\frac{n}{1}}+a^{\frac{n}{2}}+...+a^{\frac{n}{n}}$$ this I can see is true, it's obvious
$$a^{n}\leq n\cdot a^{n}$$ like the first one, I can see it's true
$$a^{\frac{n}{1}}+a^{\frac{n}{2}}+...+a^{\frac{n}{n}}\leq n\cdot a^{n}$$ this one,I can't see "how it's true", it's not so clear for me why this is true.

There are $n$ terms in the sum, and each does not exceed $a^n$.

I understood!
Thank you for your help! :)

Related to Understanding the Inequality for Solving Limits with Exponential Terms

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities or expressions and shows the relationship between them. It uses symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to indicate which quantity is larger or smaller.

How is an inequality different from an equation?

An inequality shows a relationship between two quantities, while an equation shows that two quantities are equal. Inequalities also have a range of possible solutions, while equations have only one solution.

How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Then, follow the same rules as solving an equation, such as adding or subtracting the same number on both sides or multiplying or dividing both sides by the same positive number.

What is the difference between a linear and quadratic inequality?

A linear inequality has a degree of 1, meaning that the variable is raised to the first power. A quadratic inequality has a degree of 2, meaning that the variable is raised to the second power. This results in different shapes when graphed and different methods for solving.

How can inequalities be used in real life?

Inequalities can be used to represent real-life situations, such as income inequality, population growth, or budget constraints. They can also be used to make decisions, such as determining the minimum or maximum amount of something needed or allowed.