Understanding the Limit Superior and Limit Inferior of a Sequence

• Thread starter wrldt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of \liminf and \limsup for a sequence of real numbers, as well as the relationship between them. The strategy used is to translate the definitions given in Rudin and apply a known property from a previous homework problem. The final result is a sup-sup expression, but the speaker is unsure how to manipulate it further. They seek help in applying the given property to the expression.
wrldt
Let [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] be a sequence of real numbers.

Then [itex]\liminf\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}[/itex] [itex] a_n = \limsup\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}[/itex] [itex] -a_n [/itex]

So my first strategy was to translate these into the definitions given in Rudin:

[itex]\limsup\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}[/itex] [itex]a_n = \sup_{n \geq 1}(\inf_{k \geq n} a_k)[/itex]

From a homework problem in the first chapter, we know that [itex]\inf[/itex][itex]A=-\sup[/itex] [itex]-A[/itex]

So applying that reasoning, I get:

[itex]\sup_{n \geq 1}(-\sup_{k \geq n} -a_k)[/itex]

But now I'm not sure how to mess with that sup in the front.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that \sup_{m \in A} f(m) = -\inf_{m \in A}(-f(m)).But I'm not sure how to apply that here, since the -f is already inside the -a_k.Any help would be appreciated.

FAQ: Understanding the Limit Superior and Limit Inferior of a Sequence

1. What is the meaning of "Lim inf an = -lim sup -an"?

This expression is a mathematical way of stating that the limit of the infimum (greatest lower bound) of a sequence an is equal to the negative limit of the supremum (least upper bound) of the negated sequence -an.

2. How is "Lim inf an = -lim sup -an" related to convergence?

This expression is related to convergence because it shows that if a sequence has a limit, then the limit of the infimum of the sequence is equal to the negative limit of the supremum of the negated sequence. This means that the sequence converges to a single value.

3. Can "Lim inf an = -lim sup -an" be used to prove convergence?

Yes, this expression can be used to prove convergence. If a sequence satisfies this equation, then it is guaranteed to converge to a single value. However, if this equation is not satisfied, it does not necessarily mean that the sequence does not converge.

4. What is the significance of "Lim inf an = -lim sup -an" in real analysis?

In real analysis, this expression is used to define the limit inferior and limit superior of a sequence. These concepts are important in understanding the behavior of a sequence and determining whether it converges or not.

5. Is "Lim inf an = -lim sup -an" always true?

No, this equation is not always true. It is only true if the sequence converges to a single value. If the sequence does not converge, then this equation may not hold. Additionally, this equation may not hold for certain types of sequences, such as oscillating or diverging sequences.