Understanding the Nambu-Jona-Lasinio Model: Key Questions and Concepts?

• Thread starter paweld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the Nambu-Jona-Lasinio model is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of quarks in high-energy physics. It predicts a condensation of quarks at certain energy levels and is known for spontaneously breaking chiral and axial symmetry. This model also involves the concept of dynamical mass generation, which can be further explored through the work of Nambu and Jona-Lasinio and other related papers such as those by Freundlich and Lurie.
paweld
Could anyone explain me some things related to Nambu-Jona-Lasinio model
or at least give me a reference to some papers about it. I'm trying to understand
some basis of this model but I cannot find good literature.

What is the intuitive reason why this model predicts a condensation of quarks
and when this condensate is created (at what energies)?

Why it is said that this model spontaneously breaks the chiral and axial symmetry?

What does dynamical mass generation means in relation to this model?

Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a good starting point is the talk of Nambu on nobel.org.

Nambu nobel price lecture
"nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/.../nambu_lecture.pdf"[/URL]
is indeed a good starting point. More detaild information might be found in
original paper by Nambo and Jona-Lasinio (which is unfortunatelly a bit too technical for me):
[PLAIN]http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PR/v122/i1/p345_1"
I'm stuck on the fourth page. Can anyone explain me the idea of derivation of formula (3.4).

Last edited by a moderator:
Cf. Freundlich and Lurie, Nucl. Phys. B18 (1970) 141-150.

Related to Understanding the Nambu-Jona-Lasinio Model: Key Questions and Concepts?

1. What is the Nambu-Jona-Lasinio model?

The Nambu-Jona-Lasinio (NJL) model is a quantum field theory model used to study the dynamics of strong interactions in particle physics. It was proposed by physicists Yoichiro Nambu and Giovanni Jona-Lasinio in the early 1960s as an effective model to describe the interactions between quarks and their anti-particles, known as antiquarks.

2. What are the key features of the NJL model?

The NJL model is based on the concept of spontaneous symmetry breaking, which allows for the emergence of mass in particles without explicitly including it in the equations. It also incorporates the chiral symmetry of the strong interaction, which is important for understanding the properties of hadrons (particles made of quarks).

3. How does the NJL model differ from other models of strong interactions?

The NJL model is a simplified version of QCD (Quantum Chromodynamics), the currently accepted theory of the strong interaction. It is often used as a starting point for calculations and as a benchmark for more complex models. The main difference between the NJL model and QCD is that the latter incorporates the concept of confinement, which explains why quarks are always confined within hadrons and cannot exist as free particles.

4. What are some applications of the NJL model?

The NJL model has been used to study various aspects of the strong interaction, including the properties of hadrons, the phase structure of strongly interacting matter, and the dynamics of quark-gluon plasma (a state of matter that existed in the early universe). It has also been applied to other areas of physics, such as condensed matter systems and astrophysics.

5. What are some current challenges and limitations of the NJL model?

One of the main challenges of the NJL model is to incorporate the effects of confinement, which is a crucial aspect of the strong interaction. Additionally, the model does not fully describe the properties of hadrons and has limitations in predicting certain experimental results. As such, it is often used in combination with other models or as a starting point for more sophisticated theories.