Understanding the Pressure Difference in Inflated Balloons: A Physics Discussion

• Thread starter Peter Duveen
  • Start date
In summary, understanding the pressure difference in inflated balloons involves considering the relationship between air pressure, volume, and temperature. As the balloon is inflated, the air molecules inside become more densely packed, resulting in an increase in pressure. This increase in pressure causes the balloon to expand and maintain its shape. However, if the temperature of the air inside the balloon changes, the pressure will also change, causing the balloon to either shrink or expand. Understanding this concept is important in various applications, such as weather balloons and air pressure experiments.
Peter Duveen
Hi All. I was attracted to this forum when searching for what other people had done regarding a question about hook's constant applied to a balloon, and also dealing with the difference between the pressure of the air inside a balloon vs the atmospheric (outside) pressure. Since when the air is allowed to escape from an inflated balloon, it does so with vigor, we expect that the inside pressure is greater than that of the atmosphere. I worked out my own solution, but wanted to compare it with others, since it seemed counter-intuitive. I did find a post that also articulated doubts about the solution the author offered, which is that the difference in pressures inside and outside the balloon is inversely proportional to the radius--that the difference decreases as the balloon gets bigger! (my formula has an additional expression that bows out as the radius becomes larger)

At any rate, this ought to be a simple problem, and one ought to deal with it honestly and forthrightly without a lot of hand-waving. I am not an expert, but hope to be able to contribute to a discussion now and then. I will have questions, and will sometimes propose solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF!
Thanks Greg.