Understanding the Ratio of Forces between Blocks in a Frictionless System

In summary, Tom now pushes eight identical blocks on the horizontal and frictionless table. The force that block 1 exerts on block 2 is F12; the force that block 7 exerts on block 8 is F78. The ratio F12/ F78 is 1/7.
The Wanderer

Homework Statement

Tom now pushes eight identical blocks on the horizontal and frictionless table (he’s compulsive). The force that block 1 exerts on block 2 is F12; the force that block 7 exerts on block 8 is F78. What is the ratio F12/ F78?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Δp = FnetΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

So really my problem is just understanding why the ratio isn't 1. I have no idea how to work it out... this is my attempt and I'm not sure if it is correct.

The force block 1 exerts on block 2 would just be mass*acceleration of the first block. However the force block 7 exerts on block 8 would be mass of one block*7*acceleration as the mass of all the first 7 blocks are being pushed at this acceleration. Therefore the ratio would be 1/7. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried drawing a freebody diagram? I think that would help in this case. On the first block you obviously have tom pushing up. Is that it? You can repeat this for all the blocks.

Yeah I tried that... but I don't think I am doing it correctly haha.
The blocks are lying on the table and he is exerting a horizontal force on block 1 causing all of them to move.

They way I thought of doing a freebody diagram is that the forces on 1 is the force from book 2 and Tom. Then on 2 you have the force from book 1 and the force from book 3. And then for 3 you have the force from book 2 and book 4.

But thinking about that again and wouldn't the boxes not push back on each other because the table is a frictionless surface? The force exerted by book 2 onto 1 is generated by there being friction. So my second guess is the only force on any blocks are the forces inbetween the two blocks. So force exerted on block 1 is just Tom. Force on block 2 is the force exerted by block 1. Force on block 3 is the force exerted by block 2 and so on. But then wouldn't the force just be equal to Tom's force once you iterated through all of that? Or should the force acting on block 2 be Tom and the force exerted by block 1?

Hint: Using the Newton's second and third laws you can write 8 separate equations. Add up all of this 8 equations to get the force F exerted to the first block.bI think it is 8ma, where a is the same acceleration for all bodies; since they are moving at the same constant rate of change of speed. Using the first equation you can obtain the force F12 which should be 7ma. Using this and the last equation you can come up with the ratio that should be 7.

Likes 1 person
OHHH. So the force exerted from block two to block one is equal to the 7 masses of the blocks just sitting there * acceleration. And then the force from the last block only has one block to push against so its just m*a. My logic was just really bad on this problem haha thank you very much.

FAQ: Understanding the Ratio of Forces between Blocks in a Frictionless System

1. What is a force problem with blocks?

A force problem with blocks is a physics problem that involves finding the net force acting on a block or a system of blocks. This can include determining the forces of friction, gravity, and applied forces on the block(s) and using Newton's laws of motion to solve for the resulting motion.

2. How do I approach solving a force problem with blocks?

The first step in solving a force problem with blocks is to draw a free body diagram, which shows all the forces acting on the block(s). Then, use Newton's second law, F=ma, to write equations for the net force in the x and y directions. Finally, use these equations to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the key equations needed to solve a force problem with blocks?

The key equations used to solve a force problem with blocks include Newton's second law, F=ma, which relates force, mass, and acceleration, and the equations for frictional force and gravitational force, which depend on the coefficient of friction and the mass and acceleration due to gravity, respectively.

4. How do I account for multiple blocks in a force problem?

If there are multiple blocks in a force problem, you will need to draw separate free body diagrams for each block and then write equations for the net force in the x and y directions for each block. You will also need to consider how the forces between the blocks (such as friction) affect their motion.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving force problems with blocks?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving force problems with blocks include forgetting to account for all the forces acting on the block(s), making incorrect assumptions about the direction or magnitude of forces, and not properly setting up and solving the equations for net force. It is also important to double check units and ensure that all equations and calculations are consistent.

Back