Understanding the Relationship Between Repeating Decimals and the Number Line

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
In summary: PIn summary, the conversation discusses whether 0.9999... is equal to 1 and if all real numbers minus all real numbers equals to zero. The conclusion is that 0.9999... is equal to 1 and that the statement about real numbers is just semantics. A proof is also offered to support the equality of 0.9999... and 1.
cragar
this may be a dumb question. So if .9999...=1, then are these the same point on the number line.
so then .9999 repeating does not come before one on the continuum.
And one more question can we say that all the reals minus all the reals equals zero.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
this may be a dumb question. So if .9999...=1, then are these the same point on the number line.
And one more question can we say that all the reals minus all the reals equals zero.

They are equal, so they are just two representations of the same thing, so of course they are the same point.

Your latter claim is just semantics. There is no definition for subtraction of "all something". Maybe you can define it on your own but that is quite unlikely to be accepted by others.

cragar said:
Yes, that is correct.
What does this mean? When you say "all the reals" do you mean the sum of all real numbers? If so your question makes no sense because that sum does not exist. You could mean the set of all real numbers and be talking about the "difference" of sets- in that case, if by "0" you mean "the empty set" then your statement is correct. A- A= empty set for any set A. Of course, that has nothing to do with arithmetic operations.

yes i meant A-A=empty set . I was just wondering if we could say that.
Thanks for your answers .

(moderator's note: I've removed someone asserting that 0.999... is not equal to one, along with the followups)

Hurkyl said:
(moderator's note: I've removed someone asserting that 0.999... is not equal to one, along with the followups)

Probably a good idea. I'm keeping this proof handy, though. Just in case someone else comes up and tries to assert that.

The owner of the forum is Greg Bernhardt. Feel free to speak to him. Considering we get people saying what you're saying every three days, though, I don't think he'll be very supportive of your argument.

May I propose 1 = 0.999... be added to the banned topic list?

jhae2.718 said:
May I propose 1 = 0.999... be added to the banned topic list?

actually, you can delete my posts from this thread IMO. I have started another on this topic in which argument will hopefully be more welcome. if you don't like it being in that thread, then don't look.

I think that my previous reply has been deleted, or I never was able to post it and thought I did.
By the way, I actually did not conceive the number
aritmetically.

I mean... what are these dots?

The only way I saw this was through a limit of a serie.
With this point of view become important the topology I put on R.
For istance if R has the discrete topology then the serie 0.9999999999... does not converge to 1.

But I just realized that we can define the number 0.999999999999... aritmetically, without any referement to the topology.

It, in fact, can be defined by a simple property.
Let's call [a] = the largest integer lower or equal than a
(so [7,945276] = 7 or [-1,11768] = -2)
Let x be a number such that
[x] = 0
for every natural n > 0
[x *(10^n)] = 9

This property defines 0.999999999999999999... using only order relation and aritmetical operation (and since < can be defined from aritmetic operations, we can say that the definition of 0.99999999999... is based only on aritmetic operations of R, or only on the nature of R as a field).

From this definition, in fact, follows that x is the neutral multiplicative element of R.
So it can be PROVED that x = 1, so 0.999999999... = 1.

Take_it_Easy said:
I think that my previous reply has been deleted, or I never was able to post it and thought I did.
By the way, I actually did not conceive the number
aritmetically.

I mean... what are these dots?

The only way I saw this was through a limit of a serie.
With this point of view become important the topology I put on R.
For istance if R has the discrete topology then the serie 0.9999999999... does not converge to 1.

But I just realized that we can define the number 0.999999999999... aritmetically, without any referement to the topology.

It, in fact, can be defined by a simple property.
Let's call [a] = the largest integer lower or equal than a
(so [7,945276] = 7 or [-1,11768] = -2)
Let x be a number such that
[x] = 0
for every natural n > 0
[x *(10^n)] = 9

This property defines 0.999999999999999999... using only order relation and aritmetical operation (and since < can be defined from aritmetic operations, we can say that the definition of 0.99999999999... is based only on aritmetic operations of R, or only on the nature of R as a field).

From this definition, in fact, follows that x is the neutral multiplicative element of R.
So it can be PROVED that x = 1, so 0.999999999... = 1.

Most people probably won't understand this proof. The most simple proof that I've seen is:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 9 \left(\frac{1}{10}\right)^n=\frac{\frac{9}{10}}{1-\frac{1}{10}}=1[/tex]

Last edited:
gb7nash said:
Most people probably won't understand this proof. The most simple proof that I've seen is:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{9n}{10}=\frac{\frac{9}{10}}{1-\frac{1}{10}}=1[/tex]

I think you mean

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 9 \left(\frac{1}{10}\right)^n[/tex]

Char. Limit said:
I think you mean

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 9 \left(\frac{1}{10}\right)^n[/tex]

whoooooops thanks

FAQ: Understanding the Relationship Between Repeating Decimals and the Number Line

What does .999999 = 1 mean?

The expression .999999 = 1 means that the two numbers are equivalent or equal to each other. In this case, .999999 is a decimal representation of the number 1.

Is .999999 really equal to 1?

Yes, .999999 is equal to 1. This may seem counterintuitive, but in mathematics, decimal representations are not the only way to express numbers. In fact, there are infinitely many decimal representations for the same number. Therefore, while .999999 may look different from 1, they are considered to be the same number.

Why does .999999 equal 1?

.999999 is a decimal representation of the number 1. In decimal form, numbers are expressed in powers of 10. For example, the number 1 can also be written as 1.000000, but since the number after the decimal point is 0, it is typically not included. Therefore, .999999 is a shorter way to write 1, but they both represent the same value.

Is .999999 equal to 1 in all cases?

Yes, in all cases .999999 is equal to 1. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is not limited to just these two numbers. In fact, any number with an infinite number of 9s after the decimal point is equal to the whole number represented by those 9s. For example, .333333 is equal to 1/3, and .666666 is equal to 2/3.

What is the significance of .999999 = 1?

The significance of .999999 = 1 lies in its demonstration of the concept of mathematical equivalence. It shows that there can be multiple ways to represent the same value and that our decimal system is just one way of doing so. It also highlights the importance of understanding the principles and rules of mathematics, rather than just relying on visual representations of numbers.