Understanding the Relationship Between Voltage and Electric Field

In summary, the concept of voltage is often misunderstood as being associated with a point, but it is actually related to a path. It is also the difference in potential between two points, regardless of the path taken.
engineeringstudnt
Homework Statement
Electric
Relevant Equations
V=kQ/r
E=KQ/r^2
Hi guys ! I am taking phys102 course .I figured out that i didnt fully understand the concept that is the Voltage. Please look at this question. In this case we can see that there is no voltage in point C and there is no electric field is in point D and as you know V=U/q .So i always thought that voltage is a indicator that shows us how much electric field can do work in a point that is independent from charge q. So i didnt understand how V=something that is diffrent from zero when E=0.
187813481_2884396961817258_8319517571806251111_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
engineeringstudnt said:
So i always thought that voltage is a indicator that shows us how much electric field can do work in a point
No, voltage is always associated with a path, not a point. But since EM is a conservative, it's also the difference in potential between two points (i.e. how you get from beginning to end doesn't matter).

thanks for the reply i get it :)

Likes DaveE

Related to Understanding the Relationship Between Voltage and Electric Field

1. What is voltage?

Voltage, also known as electric potential difference, is the measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage related to electric field?

Voltage is directly proportional to electric field. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the voltage also increases. The relationship between voltage (V), electric field (E), and distance (d) is given by the equation V = Ed.

3. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is volts per meter (V/m). This represents the strength of the electric field at a specific point in space.

4. How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the distance (d) between two points in an electric field. The equation for electric field strength is E = V/d.

5. What are the applications of voltage and electric field?

Voltage and electric field have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and controlling the flow of electric currents. They are also used in various scientific experiments and in the development of new technologies.