Understanding the size of the angle

In summary, the ranger sees two fires from the firetower and calculates the angle between the two lines of sight. The angle is 117°, which is the angle formed by the two lines of sight.
Vital

Homework Statement

Hello!
Please, take a look at the exercise I post below. I have solved it correctly, and I understand how to solve it; so no problems here. But what I do have a problem with is the size of the angle between two points. Please, see details below. I will be grateful for your help and explanation.

Homework Equations

From a point 300 feet above level ground in a firetower, a ranger spots two fires in the Yeti National Forest. The angle of depression made by the line of sight from the ranger to the first fire is 2.5° and the angle of depression made by line of sight from the ranger to the second fire is 1.3°. The angle formed by the two lines of sight is 117°. Find the distance between the two fires.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the correct distance, no issues here (it's around 17455), but how can the angle between two lines of sight be equal to 117°, if one angle of depression is 2.5° and another is 1.3°, which if combined are only 3.8°.
180° - 3.8° is far from 117°. See my "drawing" attached.

How can that angle be 117°?
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 20.11.51.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 20.11.51.png
    8 KB · Views: 682
Physics news on Phys.org
From your drawing, it looks like you are trying to fit all of the angles into the same plane. Instead, let the angle of depression represent the amount by which the ranger looks down, not side to side. If the ranger looks down [itex]2.5^\circ[/itex] in one direction, turns through some unspecified angle, then looks down [itex]1.3^\circ[/itex] in another direction, his two lines of sight will define a plane. The angle between those lines of sight within that plane is [itex]117^\circ[/itex]. You want to find the distance between where those lines of sight encounter the flat ground, a vertical distance [itex]300[/itex] feet below the ranger.

upload_2017-5-6_21-8-43.png

T represents the tower, A and B are the fires. OAB triangle is horizontal, OAT and OBT triangles are vertical. You have to find the distance between A and B, from the triangle ABT.

Likes Daniel Gallimore
ehild said:
View attachment 199364
T represents the tower, A and B are the fires. OAB triangle is horizontal, OAT and OBT triangles are vertical. You have to find the distance between A and B, from the triangle ABT.
What a nice picture. How did you create it?
I am fine with finding the sides, as I have pointed out - I did solve the task, using right angles to find sides.

But thanks to both explanations, I see my mistake. Indeed I did fit both angles into the same plane, which is not right, as I see now.
The only point I would like to make regarding the picture above: the guy is at the point T watching downwards, hence the angle of depression would be the one formed by TA and a horizontal line parallel to the ground at T level (like the one I have on my picture), and that's how this is explained in the book. This would mean that ∠TAB equals 2.5° also as both angles are congruent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 23.08.07.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 23.08.07.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 645
Vital said:
What a nice picture. How did you create it?
With Paint.
Vital said:
The only point I would like to make regarding the picture above: the guy is at the point T watching downwards, hence the angle of depression would be the one formed by TA and a horizontal line parallel to the ground at T level (like the one I have on my picture), and that's how this is explained in the book. This would mean that ∠TAB equals 2.5° also as both angles are congruent.
The angle of TA with the horizontal at point T ( in the direction of fire A) is the same as the angle between TA and OA (on the ground) <TAB is not 2.7°.

upload_2017-5-6_22-19-3.png

Related to Understanding the size of the angle

1. What is an angle?

An angle is a geometric shape formed by two rays that share a common endpoint, also known as a vertex. The two rays extend from the vertex in opposite directions and create a space between them, which is known as the angle.

2. How is the size of an angle measured?

The size of an angle is measured in degrees, with a full circle being 360 degrees. This means that the measure of a straight angle is 180 degrees, a right angle is 90 degrees, and an acute angle is less than 90 degrees.

3. What is the difference between an acute angle and an obtuse angle?

An acute angle is an angle that measures less than 90 degrees, while an obtuse angle measures greater than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees. A right angle, on the other hand, measures exactly 90 degrees.

4. How do you determine the size of an angle using a protractor?

To determine the size of an angle using a protractor, place the center of the protractor on the vertex of the angle and align one side of the angle with the 0 degree line on the protractor. Then, read the number on the protractor where the other side of the angle intersects with the protractor. This will give you the measure of the angle in degrees.

5. Why is it important to understand the size of an angle?

Understanding the size of an angle is important in various fields of science and mathematics, such as geometry, trigonometry, and physics. It allows us to accurately measure and describe the relationships between objects and shapes, and it helps us solve real-world problems and make accurate calculations.