Understanding the Statement Circled in Red: Solving a Problem

• Thread starter member 731016
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, but if the teacher says "as x approaches negative infinity", as he did, that takes care of itself.
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1676692240288.png

The solution is
1676692285706.png

However, I don't understand the statement circled in red. I don't understand why ## x = - \sqrt{x^2}##? They did not explained why.

I remember a year ago a calculus teacher showed me how to solve this type of problem. They divided the numerator by ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} = \sqrt{(x)^2}## and the denominator by ##-x##. I don't know why you have to divide by negative x for x approaches negative infinity, but this method works and give me the same result as the books method.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that this is the case where ## x\lt 0##. Therefore, ##-x## is positive and ##-x = |x| = \sqrt{x^2}##.

Likes member 731016
FactChecker said:
Remember that this is the case where ## x\lt 0##. Therefore, ##-x## is positive and ##-x = |x| = \sqrt{x^2}##.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker!

I think I understand now :)

Callumnc1 said:
I remember a year ago a calculus teacher showed me how to solve this type of problem. They divided the numerator by ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} = \sqrt{(x)^2}## and the denominator by ##-x##.
You didn't say, but the teacher must have specified that x < 0. Otherwise ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} \ne -x##, so the fraction would essentially be multiplied by -1, which changes the value of the fraction.

Likes member 731016
Mark44 said:
You didn't say, but the teacher must have specified that x < 0. Otherwise ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} \ne -x##, so the fraction would essentially be multiplied by -1, which changes the value of the fraction.
Yes. The solution included in post #1 says "we must remember that for ##x \lt 0## ...".

Likes member 731016
FactChecker said:
Yes. The solution included in post #1 says "we must remember that for ##x \lt 0## ...".
I understand that, but I was responding to the part where the OP was remembering an event from a year ago. It wasn't stated that the teacher had specified then that x must be negative.

Likes member 731016 and FactChecker
Mark44 said:
Thank you for your replies @Mark44 and @FactChecker !

I think my teacher said divide by numerator and denominator by (-x)^n where n is the highest degree of the denominator for taking the limit as x approaches negative infinity.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
I think my teacher said divide by numerator and denominator by (-x)^n where n is the highest degree of the denominator for taking the limit as x approaches negative infinity.
That's not what my comment was about. For ##\sqrt{(-x)^2}## to be equal to -x, the teacher must have said that x < 0.

Likes member 731016
Mark44 said:
teacher must have said that x < 0.
Yes, but if the teacher says "as x approaches negative infinity", as he did, that takes care of itself.

Likes member 731016

Related to Understanding the Statement Circled in Red: Solving a Problem

What does the statement circled in red refer to?

The statement circled in red typically refers to a specific part of a problem or a key piece of information that needs special attention. It could be a critical step in a solution, an important assumption, or a significant variable that influences the outcome.

Why is it important to understand the statement circled in red?

Understanding the statement circled in red is crucial because it often holds the key to solving the problem correctly. Misinterpreting or overlooking this statement can lead to incorrect conclusions or solutions, as it usually highlights a pivotal aspect of the problem.

How can I approach solving a problem with a statement circled in red?

To solve a problem with a statement circled in red, start by thoroughly reading and understanding the statement. Break it down into simpler parts if necessary. Identify how it connects to the rest of the problem and what role it plays in the solution process. Use this understanding to guide your approach and ensure that your solution addresses this critical component.

What are common mistakes when dealing with a statement circled in red?

Common mistakes include ignoring the statement, misinterpreting its meaning, or failing to see its relevance to the overall problem. Another mistake is focusing too much on the statement without considering the broader context, which can lead to a narrow or incomplete solution.

Can you provide an example of a problem with a statement circled in red and its solution?

Sure! Consider a math problem where the statement circled in red is "Let x be a positive integer." This statement is crucial because it limits the possible values of x. A common mistake would be to solve the problem without considering this restriction, leading to invalid solutions. By understanding and applying the restriction that x must be a positive integer, you can correctly solve the problem within the given constraints.