Understanding the Symmetry of SU(N) Subgroups in Srednicki's Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of T(A) and T(S) for the subgroup SU(2) of SU(N). The notation 1s (or 1's) refers to the symmetrical singlet, and the problem lies in understanding why one term is symmetric and the other is anti-symmetric. The use of Young Tableaux is mentioned, but the individual is unsure of how to apply them in this context. The conversation also includes an example using the SU(3) subgroup to illustrate the difficulty in understanding the notation.
RobyVonRintein

Homework Statement

(a) For SU(N), we have:
N ⊗ N = A_A + S_S
where A corresponds to a field with two antisymetric fundamental SU(N) in- dices φij = −φji, and S corresponds to a field with two symmetric fundamental SU(N) indices φij = φji. By considering an SU(2) subgroup of SU(N), compute T(A) and T(S).

Homework Equations

Under the SU(2) subgroup, N transforms as:

[2 ⊕ (N − 2)1S] ⊗ [2 ⊕ (N − 2)1s] = A + S.

The Attempt at a Solution

Distributing, we get, among other terms, 2 ⊗ (N − 2)1S ⊕ 2 ⊗ (N − 2)1S. It's then just a matter of separating the symmetric and anti-symmetric terms.

What I don't understand is why one of these 2 ⊗ (N − 2)1S terms is symmetric and the otherone is anti-symmetric. They seem identical to me... I think part of the problem is I don't understand Srednicki's notation 1s (sometimes 1's) -- does this just mean the singlet is symmetrical?

I understand Young Tableaux, but not sure how to use them here, the only diagram I can work out is adjoint, and therefore neither symmetrical nor anti-symmetrical.

This is the only difficulty, if we can figure out this, I know how to solve the problem from there...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To phrase the question a different way, consider

4 x 4 = 10_S + 6_A.

Now if we consider the SU(3) subgroup, we have:

(3 + 1) * (3 + 1) = 3 * 3 + 3 * 1 + 1 * 3 + 1 * 1

Now clearly 1 * 1 = 1 and 3 * 3 = 6 + 3_A. So we have:

10 + 6_A = 6 + 3_A + 1 +3 * 1 + 1 * 3.

which gives:

3 + 3_A = 3 * 1 + 1 * 3

But how can this be? Whenever I do young Tableaux, I get that 3 * 1 = 1 and 1 * 3 = 3 + 2_S, which sum to 4 + 2_S ??

To phrase the question a different way, consider

4 x 4 = 10_S + 6_A.

Now if we consider the SU(3) subgroup, we have:

(3 + 1) * (3 + 1) = 3 * 3 + 3 * 1 + 1 * 3 + 1 * 1

Now clearly 1 * 1 = 1 and 3 * 3 = 6 + 3_A. So we have:

10 + 6_A = 6 + 3_A + 1 +3 * 1 + 1 * 3.

which gives:

3 + 3_A = 3 * 1 + 1 * 3

But how can this be? Whenever I do young Tableaux, I get that 3 * 1 = 1 and 1 * 3 = 3 + 2_S, which sum to 4 + 2_S ??

FAQ: Understanding the Symmetry of SU(N) Subgroups in Srednicki's Notation

1. What is the significance of Group Theory in Srednicki 70.4?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the symmetry and structure of objects. In Srednicki 70.4, Group Theory is used to analyze the behavior of particles in quantum field theory and to predict their interactions.

2. Can you explain the concept of a group in Group Theory?

A group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element. In Group Theory, groups are used to represent symmetries and transformations of objects.

3. How does Group Theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Group Theory has applications in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, geometry, and number theory. It also has connections to physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws.

4. What are some real-world applications of Group Theory?

Group Theory has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, computer science, and cryptography. It is also used in physics to describe the behavior of particles and in economics to model decision-making processes.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Group Theory in physics?

While Group Theory is a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not account for gravitational interactions and cannot fully explain the behavior of all particles and systems.