Understanding the Transition from Laminar to Turbulent Flow: Forces and Factors

In summary, thermofluids is a branch of science that studies the behavior and properties of fluids in relation to temperature and pressure. Examples of thermofluids include steam, air, and refrigerants, and it is closely related to thermodynamics which also deals with heat and energy transfer. Some practical applications of thermofluids include designing and operating heat exchangers, turbines, and engines, as well as studying atmospheric and oceanic dynamics and developing renewable energy systems. To improve understanding of thermofluids, a strong foundation in engineering principles, mathematics, and physics is important, as well as hands-on experience and experimentation.
mikex24
Thermofluids question HELP asap!

Homework Statement

I would like to know what forces acting and a transition from laminar to turbulent flow is faced. Also what factors affecting the transition?

The Attempt at a Solution

In my opinion the possible forces which acting on a pipe wall is the friction force. Also i think the factors which causing this, is the high velocity which means high Reynolds number and therefore turbulent flow but i don't believe that this is the explanation for this.

Any help?

Cheers !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one can help?

bump~?? no one?

Related to Understanding the Transition from Laminar to Turbulent Flow: Forces and Factors

1. What is thermofluids?

Thermofluids is a branch of science that deals with the study of the behavior and properties of fluids in relation to temperature and pressure.

2. What are some examples of thermofluids?

Some examples of thermofluids include steam, air, and refrigerants. These are fluids that are commonly used in engineering systems and have properties that are affected by temperature and pressure.

3. How is thermofluids related to thermodynamics?

Thermofluids is closely related to thermodynamics, as both deal with the study of heat and energy transfer. However, thermofluids specifically focuses on the behavior and properties of fluids, while thermodynamics deals with all forms of energy.

4. What are some practical applications of thermofluids?

Thermofluids has many practical applications, including in the design and operation of heat exchangers, turbines, and engines. It is also used in the study of atmospheric and oceanic dynamics, and in the development of renewable energy systems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of thermofluids?

To improve your understanding of thermofluids, it is important to have a strong foundation in engineering principles, mathematics, and physics. Additionally, hands-on experience and experimentation can greatly enhance your understanding of thermofluids concepts and principles.