Understanding the Van Der Pol System: Muzialis' Struggles

In summary, the equation you obtained is the same as the one in bold, just written in a different form.
muzialis
Hello All,

I am struggling to understand the following passage (all equations can be found in a much better format at http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Van_der_Pol_oscillator, eq(8) especially).

Starting from (C being a constant)

u' = C * u [4 - (u^2*v^2)]
v' = C * v [4 - (u^2*v^2)]

introducing

r^2 = u^2 * v^2

the equation

r' = C * r [4 - (u^2*v^2)]

I observe that squaring each equation above and summing one obtains

(u')^2 = C^2 * u^2 [4 - (u^2*v^2)^2]
(v')^2 = C^2 * v^2 [4 - (u^2*v^2)^2]

Summing top and below

(u')^2 + (v')^2 = C^2 * [4-(u^2*v^2)^2] * [u^2 + v^2]

Is this not a contradiction with the eqaution in bold i would like to understand? I am sure of course I made a trivial mistake somewhere. Thank you for any help

Muzialis

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there is no contradiction. The equation you obtained is the same as the one in bold, just written in a different form. The equation in bold states that the derivative of r^2 is equal to C*r[4 - (u^2*v^2)]. Squaring both sides of the equation and expanding gives the result that (u')^2 + (v')^2 = C^2 * [4-(u^2*v^2)^2] * [u^2 + v^2].

Related to Understanding the Van Der Pol System: Muzialis' Struggles

1. What is the Van Der Pol system?

The Van Der Pol system is a nonlinear differential equation that describes the behavior of a damped oscillator. It was developed by Dutch physicist Balthasar Van Der Pol in the early 20th century and has applications in various fields such as electronics, biology, and economics.

2. What are Muzialis' struggles in understanding the Van Der Pol system?

Muzialis, a fictional scientist in literature, struggles with understanding the complex dynamics and behavior of the Van Der Pol system. He faces challenges in finding the right initial conditions, solving the differential equation, and interpreting the results.

3. What are the applications of the Van Der Pol system?

The Van Der Pol system has a wide range of applications in different fields. In electronics, it is used to model the behavior of circuits with nonlinear elements. In biology, it has been used to study the oscillatory behavior of enzymes and hormones. In economics, it has been used to model the interactions between economic variables.

4. How can one solve the Van Der Pol system?

The Van Der Pol system can be solved using numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve dividing the system into smaller time intervals and approximating the solution at each interval. Alternatively, the system can be solved analytically using techniques such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms.

5. What are the limitations of the Van Der Pol system?

Like any mathematical model, the Van Der Pol system has its limitations. It assumes a constant damping coefficient and does not account for external influences or disturbances. It also does not capture the full complexity of real-world systems and may require additional variables or parameters to accurately describe certain phenomena.