Understanding the Variation of Poincaré Invariant Action

• Thread starter alfredblase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, if you have the expression for a Poincaré invariant action, how do you find the variation of the action? Any help/hints much appreciated, thanks ;)
alfredblase
If I have the expression for a Poincaré invariant action, how do I find the variation of the action? Any help/hints much appreciated, thanks ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
If your action is of the form
[tex]
S = \int d\lambda\, L\left(X^\mu, \frac{d X^\mu}{d \lambda} \right),
[/tex]
where [tex] \lambda [/tex] is any affine parameter, then the variation looks like
[tex]
\delta S = \int d \lambda \,\left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial X^\mu} - \frac{d}{d\lambda}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial (dX^\mu/d\lambda)}\right)\right) \delta X^\mu,
[/tex]
where in the process I have integrated by parts and dropped the boundary terms.

As usual, you obtain the equations of motion by requring that the variation of the action be zero for arbitrary variations of the path [tex] \delta X^\mu [/tex]. If you are doing your free particle action that we talked about before, you can get the free particle equations of motion by first performing the variation and then setting the affine parameter equal to the proper time.

Consult a text on classical mechanics for further clarification about variational principles and Lagrangians.

Last edited:
General Case
The action functional in ordinary spacetime looks like the one from classical physics:
[tex]
\mathcal{S}[\phi] = \int d^4x \, \mathcal{L}[\phi, \partial_\mu \phi; x^\mu] \, \quad \mapsto
\quad S = \int dt \, L(q(t), \dot{q(t)}; t) \, .
[/tex]
The most general way to write [tex]\delta \mathcal{S}[/tex] -- without imposing any symmetries -- is to just vary the Lagrangian with respect to the field(s) [tex]\phi[/tex],
its derivative [tex]\partial_\mu \phi[/tex], and the coordinates [tex]x^\mu[/tex]:
[tex]
\delta \mathcal{S} = \int \delta \phi \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}
+ \delta(\partial_\mu \phi) \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}
+ \delta x^\mu \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial x^\mu} \, .
[/tex]
If you are dealing with global Poincare invariance, the variation with respect to the coordinates vanishes. Have you dealt with
[tex]
\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} |\partial_\mu \phi|^2 + \frac{1}{2}m^2 \phi^2
[/tex] yet?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys, really great stuff! =) Physics Monkey, unfortunately I don't have access to a decent library at the mo, and no money to buy books =(

I suppose I didnt really ask the right questions, sorry, but what is a variation? and what does the basic formula for the variation of an action look like, without integration by parts? Is it the second one given by bigplanet? Whats the difference between global and local invariance?

Is there any website that has good notes on this kind of stuff?

Last edited:

FAQ: Understanding the Variation of Poincaré Invariant Action

1. What is variation of action?

Variation of action is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the change in the action of a physical system as its configuration changes. In simpler terms, it is the difference in the amount of energy needed for a system to go from one state to another.

2. How is variation of action related to the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action. This means that the variation of action for any possible path must be equal to zero. In other words, the path taken by a system is the one that requires the least amount of energy.

3. What role does variation of action play in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the variation of action is used to derive the equations of motion for a system. It is also used to determine the equilibrium state of a system, as the equilibrium state corresponds to the path with the minimum action.

4. Can variation of action be applied to quantum systems?

Yes, variation of action can also be applied to quantum systems. In quantum mechanics, the path with the minimum action corresponds to the most probable path taken by a particle. This is known as the principle of least action in quantum mechanics.

5. How is variation of action used in other fields of science?

Variation of action has applications in various fields of science, including optics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also used in the study of fluid mechanics and in the formulation of the laws of thermodynamics.

Back