Understanding the Velocity and Acceleration of Blocks Linked by Multiple Pulleys

In summary: Yes, it is correct that the rope gets longer by x. So, the rate at which it gets longer is x/t, where t is the time it takes for the pulley to move down by x. Can you see how to express t in terms of the velocity of the pulley, vC?So, the rate at which the rope gets longer is vC.Going back to the equation LAC+LCD+LDE+LEB = const, can you now express the downward velocity of mass B as a function of vA and vC?ChetvB = vA - vCIn summary, two blocks (A and B) are linked by a rope through three identical pulleys
terryds

Homework Statement

http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xziltxnrjlckqjqs.png

Two blocks ( A and B ) are linked by rope through three identical pulleys C, D, and E.
Pulley C and E are in stationary, while D is pulled down so its constant velocity 1 m/s
If vA = 4m/s when A goes down 2 m, determine the velocity and acceleration also the direction of block B when A goes 2 m down

Choices :
a) 4 m/s and 1 m/s^2 downward
b) 4 m/s and 2 m/s^2 downward
c) 4 m/s and 2 m/s^2 upward
d) 6 m/s and 4 m/s^2 downward
e) 6 m/s and 4 m/s^2 upward

Homework Equations

W = ΔKE
V(t)^2 = V0^2 + 2 a Δs

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
W = ΔKE
ma s = (1/2) m v^2
a (2) = (1/2) (4)^2
a = 4 m/s^2

So, the acceleration of block A is 4 m/s^2 downward
But, what is the block B acceleration and its velocity when block A goes 2m down ?

I need to find the relationship between block A acceleration and block B acceleration.
Their accelerations are same in magnitude, right ? (Since the rope is free)
So, block B acceleration is 4 m/s^2 downward, right ?
But, what about block B velocity ?
Using the equation
V(t)^2 = V0^2 + 2 a Δs
V(t) = √(2aΔs) = √16 = 4 m/s

But, my answer is not in the choices..
Please help me..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the condition that the length of the rope is constant.

ehild said:
You can not apply conservation of energy, as some external force does work on the system when pulling down pulley D with constant velocity.
Use the condition that the length of the rope is constant.

Hmm..
If A goes 2m down, the rope C->A increases 2m in length
So, rope D->C decreases 2m in length
Then, rope E->D decreases 2m in length
And, rope E->B increases 2m in length
Right ?
Then, how to find the acceleration ?

It's a given that D is pulled down at 1 m/s

Following ehild's suggestion, you have ##L_{AC}+L_{CD}+L_{DE}+L_{EB}=Const.##

From the figure, how is ##L_{CD}## (always) related to ##L_{DE}##?

If mass A moves down with a velocity of vA, what is ##dL_{AC}/dt## equal to?

If pulley C moves downward with a velocity of vC, what is ##dL_{CD}/dt## equal to? What is ##dL_{DE}/dt## equal to?

Chet

As D moves downward with 1 m/s , the length of the piece AC+BE shortens at rate ... ?
A moves downward with uniform acceleration. You got aA=4 m/s2, downward. If its velocity is VA downward, the piece of rope AC lengthens at this rate. The piece EB has to shorten at rate ...?
From the velocity of B in terms of VA and VC what is the acceleration if B?

BvU said:
It's a given that D is pulled down at 1 m/s

Chestermiller said:
Following ehild's suggestion, you have ##L_{AC}+L_{CD}+L_{DE}+L_{EB}=Const.##

From the figure, how is ##L_{CD}## (always) related to ##L_{DE}##?

If mass A moves down with a velocity of vA, what is ##dL_{AC}/dt## equal to?

If pulley C moves downward with a velocity of vC, what is ##dL_{CD}/dt## equal to? What is ##dL_{DE}/dt## equal to?

Chet

LCD = LDE
If mass A moves down with a velocity of vA, what is dLAC/dt equal to? It is vA, right ?
If pulley C moves downward with a velocity of vC, what is dLCD/dt equal to? What is dLDE/dt equal to? It is vC, right ?

ehild said:
As D moves downward with 1 m/s , the length of the piece AC+BE shortens at rate ... ?
A moves downward with uniform acceleration. You got aA=4 m/s2, downward. If its velocity is VA downward, the piece of rope AC lengthens at this rate. The piece EB has to shorten at rate ...?
From the velocity of B in terms of VA and VC what is the acceleration if B?

The length piece AC+BE shortens at rate 0.5 m/s
The piece EB has to shorten at rate vA, right ?
vB = vA - vD, right ?
Please explain the correct answers. I'm really confused when finding the relationship of acceleration.

terryds said:
LCD = LDE
If mass A moves down with a velocity of vA, what is dLAC/dt equal to? It is vA, right ?
If pulley C moves downward with a velocity of vC, what is dLCD/dt equal to? What is dLDE/dt equal to? It is vC, right ?
Very good. Now, if you take the time derivative of this equation ##L_{AC}+L_{CD}+L_{DE}+L_{EB}=Const.## , and use the previous results, what do you get for the downward velocity of mass B, namely ##v_B=dL_{EB}/dt## (in terms of vA and vC)?

Chet

terryds said:
The length piece AC+BE shortens at rate 0.5 m/s
This is not right. If we pull the pulley D down by a certain distance, by how much does the rope in the middle get longer?
(This extra length comes from AC+BE being shortened.)

Chestermiller said:
Very good. Now, if you take the time derivative of this equation ##L_{AC}+L_{CD}+L_{DE}+L_{EB}=Const.## , and use the previous results, what do you get for the downward velocity of mass B, namely ##v_B=dL_{EB}/dt## (in terms of vA and vC)?

Chet

LAC+LCD+LDE+LEB = const
vA + 2 vC + vB = 0
vB = vA - 2 vC
Right ?

Nathanael said:
This is not right. If we pull the pulley D down by a certain distance, by how much does the rope in the middle get longer?
(This extra length comes from AC+BE being shortened.)
Hmm.. It must go down in the same distance as the distance the pulley D goes down.
So, its rate is also 1 m/s, right ?

terryds said:
LAC+LCD+LDE+LEB = const
vA + 2 vC + vB = 0
vB = vA - 2 vC
Right ?
Check the sign on vA.

terryds said:
Hmm.. It must go down in the same distance as the distance the pulley D goes down.
So, its rate is also 1 m/s, right ?
Take a look at this picture I made (it's harder to explain with words).

If the pulley goes down by x then the rope gets longer by ?

pulley.png

Nathanael said:
Take a look at this picture I made (it's harder to explain with words).

If the pulley goes down by x then the rope gets longer by ?

View attachment 78839

It will get longer by 2x.. Thanks for your nice illustration..
Then the piece EB decreases x in length and AB also decreases x in length, right ?
So, the velocity of pulley D is 0.5 ( vA + vB ), right ?
Then, how to find the relation between the acceleration ?

Chestermiller said:
Check the sign on vA.
-vA + 2 vC - vB = 0
vB = 2 vC - vA

I think vA is negative since it goes downward ( the rope lengthens ), vC is positive since the rope shortens, vB is negative since the rope lengthens

Is it right ? Hmmm
Or we can just ignore the positive/negative rule
vA + 2 vC + vB = 0
vB = - (vA + 2 vC)

Which one is right ?

terryds said:
It will get longer by 2x..
Correct.

terryds said:
Then the piece EB decreases x in length and AB also decreases x in length, right ?
Well, EB and AC don't necessarily have to decrease by the same amount.

terryds said:
So, the velocity of pulley D is 0.5 ( vA + vB ), right ?
Yes :) this is correct (ignoring directions). Also, Va does not necessarily equal Vb, but their sum must get shorter by 2 m/s

terryds said:
Then, how to find the relation between the acceleration ?
Differentiate the last equation with respect to time.

Nathanael said:
Correct.Well, EB and AC don't necessarily have to decrease by the same amount.Yes :) this is correct (ignoring directions). Also, Va does not necessarily equal Vb, but their sum must get shorter by 2 m/sDifferentiate the last equation with respect to time.

vD = 0.5 ( vA + vB )
aD = 0.5 ( aA + aB )
Right ?

Then, using the work-kinetic energy formula, I've found that acceleration of A is 4 m/s2
I will use negative sign for up direction and positive for down direction
aD = 0.5 ( aA + aB )
0 = 0.5 (4 + aB)
aB = -4 m/s2

vD = 0.5 ( vA + vB )
-1 = 0.5 ( 4 + vB )
vB = -6 m/s2

So, the acceleration is 4m/s2 upward ? and the velocity is 6 m/s upward ?

Can you tell me why it is negative ?
I imagine the scene and I think that block B will go in the same direction as block A, right ? (The block A goes down, so the middle pulley goes up, then block B goes down)
So, could you please tell me the mistake I made ?

terryds said:
So, the acceleration is 4m/s2 upward ? and the velocity is 6 m/s upward ?
If the block A started with a velocity 4 m/s downwards and an acceleration 4 m/s2 downwards, then yes your answer is correct.

terryds said:
Can you tell me why it is negative ?
It is negative because it is in the opposite direction as block A

terryds said:
I imagine the scene and I think that block B will go in the same direction as block A, right ? (The block A goes down, so the middle pulley goes up, then block B goes down)
So, could you please tell me the mistake I made ?
This is not true. The middle pulley is always going down at 1m/s, that is unchangeable.

Likes terryds
Nathanael said:
If the block A started with a velocity 4 m/s downwards and an acceleration 4 m/s2 downwards, then yes your answer is correct.It is negative because it is in the opposite direction as block AThis is not true. The middle pulley is always going down at 1m/s, that is unchangeable.

Yeah.. I forgot that the middle pulley is going down..
Thanks for your nice help :)

Related to Understanding the Velocity and Acceleration of Blocks Linked by Multiple Pulleys

What is a multiple pulleys problem?

A multiple pulleys problem is a physics problem that involves multiple pulleys connected to each other with ropes or cables. The goal is to determine the forces and tensions acting on each pulley in order to understand the mechanics of the system.

How do I solve a multiple pulleys problem?

To solve a multiple pulleys problem, you need to follow a systematic approach. First, identify the number of pulleys in the system and label them accordingly. Then, draw a free body diagram for each pulley to show the forces acting on it. Finally, use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces and tensions.

What are the key concepts involved in solving a multiple pulleys problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a multiple pulleys problem are tension, friction, and the mechanical advantage of pulleys. Tension is the force exerted by a rope or cable, while friction is the resistance to motion between two surfaces. The mechanical advantage of pulleys is the ratio of the output force to the input force, which is determined by the number of pulleys in the system.

What are some tips for solving a multiple pulleys problem?

Here are some tips for solving a multiple pulleys problem:

• Draw clear and accurate free body diagrams for each pulley.
  • Label all the forces acting on each pulley and their directions.
  • Use the principles of equilibrium to determine the unknown forces and tensions.
  • Double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the laws of physics.
  • If you get stuck, break the problem down into smaller parts and solve them individually.

What real-life applications involve multiple pulleys?

Multiple pulleys are commonly used in various machines and systems, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. They are also used in sailing and rock climbing to hoist heavy loads. In addition, multiple pulleys are essential components in the operation of cars, bicycles, and other vehicles with pulley systems.