Understanding Thermodynamics: Solving for Resistance and Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermodynamics problem involving a platinum resistance thermometer and its usage in interpolating temperatures. The formula for resistance with temperature is given, with constants A and B determined by measurements at specific points. The problem involves finding the values for R0, A, and B, and determining the temperature of a solution at a given length. There is confusion over the numbers and letters in the equation, and more information may be needed for a complete solution.
ice87
another thermodynamics problem

For this one its a combination of the wording and the whole resistance that i don't get.

In the interval between the freezing point of water and 700 degrees C, a platinum resistance thermometer is used for interpolating the temperatures on the international scale the Celsius temperature Tc is given by a formula for resistance R with temperature
R = R0(1 + ATc +BTc^2) where A and B are constants determined by measurements at the ice point, the steam point of water, and the melting point of zinc (419.414 degrees C). (a) If R equals 10.000 ohms at the ice point, 13.946 ohms at the steam point, and 24.174 at the melting point of zinc, find R0, A, and B; (b) When immersed in a solution the length is 25.4 cm. What is the temperature of the solution.

now wtf?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resistance is an electrical property of a device.
For metals, resistance increases (almost linearly)
Almost proportional to Temperature in Kelvin.
So expect B to be small.

What is Tc of the ice point? What, then, is Ro?
Do you know what temperature the "steam point" is?

ice87 said:
For this one its a combination of the wording and the whole resistance that i don't get.

In the interval between the freezing point of water and 700 degrees C, a platinum resistance thermometer is used for interpolating the temperatures on the international scale the Celsius temperature Tc is given by a formula for resistance R with temperature
R = R0(1 + ATc +BTc^2) where A and B are constants determined by measurements at the ice point, the steam point of water, and the melting point of zinc (419.414 degrees C). (a) If R equals 10.000 ohms at the ice point, 13.946 ohms at the steam point, and 24.174 at the melting point of zinc, find R0, A, and B; (b) When immersed in a solution the length is 25.4 cm. What is the temperature of the solution.

now wtf?
I think you need more information in order to answer b).

AM

You see what I don't get is where all the numbers go, and what all the letters in the equation represent. I'm guessing for part A i need to setup 3 equations with 3 variables and R equalling 10.000, 13.946, and 24.174 ohms? and maybe with Tc equalling 0, 100, and 419.414 degrees C respectively?

FAQ: Understanding Thermodynamics: Solving for Resistance and Temperature

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It studies the behavior of systems and how energy is transferred between them.

2. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. In other words, energy will always flow from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration, resulting in an overall increase in disorder or entropy.

3. What is "Another thermodynamics"?

"Another thermodynamics" refers to the study of thermodynamics in systems that do not follow traditional laws and principles. This can include systems with extremely high or low temperatures, microscopic scales, or non-equilibrium conditions.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in everyday life. It helps us understand and improve energy efficiency in appliances and buildings, explains the principles behind refrigeration and air conditioning, and is crucial in the study of weather and climate.

5. What are some real-world examples of thermodynamics in action?

Some common examples of thermodynamics in action include the conversion of heat energy into mechanical energy in car engines, the transfer of heat between objects in cooking, and the process of power generation in power plants. Thermodynamics also plays a role in the formation of stars, planets, and galaxies in the universe.