Understanding Time-Invariant and Variant Systems: Examples and Solutions

• Thread starter steven-ka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses two examples of checking for time in/variant systems. The first example is y(t)=x(-t) and the second is y(t)=x(t^2). The speaker would like to know what is wrong with their solution for the second example. The expert agrees with the answers but suggests focusing on providing a working proof rather than just stating the answers.
steven-ka
I would like to have some assistance with two examples of checking times in/variant systems.

1) y(t)=x(-t)

2) y(t)=x(t^2)

I would like to know what's wrong with the following solution of mine(especially the second one):

1) y(t)=x(-t)

x1(t)=x1(t-t0) => y1(t)=x(-t-t0)

y2(t)=y2(t-t0)=> y2(t)=x(-(t-t0))=x(-t+t0)

y1(t)=!y2(t) => time variant system.

2) y(t)=x(t^2)

x1(t)=x1(t-t0)=> y1(t)=x(t^2-t0)

y2(t)=y2(t-t0)=> y2(t)=x((t-t0)^2)

y1(t)=!y2(t)=> time variant system.

I'll appreciate any helpful comment :) thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answers but I am baffled by the proofs.
I assume you are defining x1 as the tIme shifted input and y1 as the corresponding time shifted output. So surely you should write x1(t)=x(t-t0), y1(t)=x1(-t), etc?

Yeah yea exactly, so do you think its true?

Yes, but surely the point is to come up with a working proof.

Related to Understanding Time-Invariant and Variant Systems: Examples and Solutions

1. What is the difference between time-invariant and time-variant systems?

Time-invariant systems have output that does not change with shifts in time, while time-variant systems have output that changes with shifts in time. In other words, time-invariant systems have a constant response over time, while time-variant systems have a varying response over time.

2. What are some examples of time-invariant systems?

Some examples of time-invariant systems include a pendulum, a simple resistor circuit, and a mass-spring-damper system. These systems have outputs that do not change with shifts in time, making them time-invariant.

3. How can we determine if a system is time-invariant or time-variant?

We can determine if a system is time-invariant by looking at its input and output signals. If the output signal remains unchanged when the input signal is shifted in time, then the system is time-invariant. However, if the output signal changes with shifts in time of the input signal, then the system is time-variant.

4. What are some real-world applications of time-invariant and time-variant systems?

Time-invariant and time-variant systems have many real-world applications in various fields. Time-invariant systems are commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and communication systems. Time-variant systems are often used in image and video processing, as well as in speech recognition and natural language processing.

5. How can we solve problems related to time-invariant and time-variant systems?

To solve problems related to time-invariant and time-variant systems, we can use mathematical techniques such as convolution, Laplace transforms, and Fourier transforms. These methods allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of these systems and their responses over time.