Understanding Time Zones and Formatting on Posts - Common Questions Answered

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
In summary, the posting time zone can be changed through personal settings and the arrow next to bolded thread titles takes you to the oldest unread post. All posts are marked as read when you log out or are logged out due to inactivity.
barryj
1. What is the time zone of the posting time. I thought it to be GMT but it seems to be off by 1 hour.
2. Why are some entries, particularly the newest ones in bold and have an arrow to the left? What makes the entry go from bold to normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
In answer to the first one time zones can be changed through your personal settings. Not sure about the arrow thing but if a thread title is bold it means it is new since you last looked

I should have read my profile options more completely. Thanks

The arrow takes you to the oldest unread post.

"Unread" posts are posts you did not read yet (where visiting a thread counts as "reading" for all 17 posts on that page). If you log out, or get logged out due to inactivity, all existing posts are marked as read. There is also a forum function to mark all posts as read.

Btw, these aren't dumb questions at all.

FAQ: Understanding Time Zones and Formatting on Posts - Common Questions Answered

1. What is the purpose of "A couple of dumb questions?"

The purpose of "A couple of dumb questions" is to provide a platform for people to ask silly, lighthearted questions and have fun while doing so.

2. Is it okay to ask serious questions on "A couple of dumb questions?"

While the main purpose of "A couple of dumb questions" is to ask silly questions, it is also acceptable to ask serious questions as long as they are respectful and do not violate any community guidelines.

3. Can I answer other people's questions on "A couple of dumb questions?"

Yes, you are welcome to answer other people's questions on "A couple of dumb questions." However, please make sure that your answers are respectful and do not attack or belittle the person asking the question.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for asking questions on "A couple of dumb questions?"

Yes, there are a few rules and guidelines that users are expected to follow on "A couple of dumb questions." These include being respectful, avoiding offensive language, and not asking overly personal or inappropriate questions.

5. Can I suggest new categories for questions on "A couple of dumb questions?"

Absolutely! We welcome suggestions for new categories and will consider adding them if they align with the lighthearted and fun nature of "A couple of dumb questions."