Understanding torque -- impact guns and high torque drills

In summary, this person has a question about torque with an impact gun and a high torque drill. The person explains that torque is a function of rpm and horsepower. The person provides a link to a link which explains how an impact drill works. The person then provides a link to a demonstration of how an impact drill operates. The person explains that the max torque will be the peak torque that occurs during an impact, not continuously.
Sonic
Hi i have a question regarding torque with impact guns and high torque drills.

So i just bought a impact gun which is rated at 1000nm at 2200 rpm how can this have such high torque were my cars engine makes only 400nm at 2500rpm

So i guess my question is how can we compare these torques to each other?

To my understanding horsepower is a function of torque and rpm

So for the torque wrench if we convert 1000nm to ftlbs we get around 737 ftlbs

So rpmxtorque/5252

2200 x 737/5252

We get 308hp which is obviously incorrect so what am i missing here?

Thanks hope i made sense in my question

Engineering news on Phys.org
I see two possibilities:

1. The torque isn't matched to that RPM. Do you have the exact wording of the specs (a link?)?

2. Being an *impact* gun means the torque is generated by a series of impacts and is not continuously applied.

Likes scottdave
Ok so with no load i will still be making 115nm in the drill correct spinning at 2100rpm?

Even if the drill spins at 300rpm underload with 115nm torque i get close to 5hp

Thats that's quite a large petrol engine in comparioson (briggs and stratton etc)

Ok so i think i messed that up because if we assume 300rpm then by lowering the rpm would mean we no longer are making 115nm so our hp level would be lower.But i still question the max torque of 115nm can we assume that's happening at 2200rpm?

If so no load were making close to 35hp?

I had a think about it greatest torque would be in low gear so that's rated at 550rpm much lower than the 2200.

So my calcs show at 550rpm and 84ftlbs of torque we make 8.8hp with no load does this sound reasonable for a small drill?

No 8hp is way too high. 1hp = 750w. I think most drills are probably sub 500w.

The max torque will be the peak torque that occurs during an impact not continuously.

Edit: similar drill here is rated at 640w continuous.

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dlx2040tj-18v-brushless-impact-driver-combi-drill-kit-inc-2x-5-0ah-batts#gref

Last edited:
PS: with no load a drill produces no output power.

FAQ: Understanding torque -- impact guns and high torque drills

What is torque and how does it affect impact guns and high torque drills?

Torque is a measure of rotational force, and it is a key factor in the power and effectiveness of impact guns and high torque drills. The higher the torque, the more rotational force is being applied to the object being worked on. This allows for greater control and efficiency when using these tools.

What is the difference between impact guns and high torque drills?

Impact guns and high torque drills have similar functions, but they differ in how they apply torque. Impact guns use a hammering action to deliver bursts of torque, which is ideal for loosening or tightening stubborn bolts. High torque drills, on the other hand, provide a continuous stream of torque, making them better suited for drilling into tough materials.

What factors affect the amount of torque produced by these tools?

The amount of torque produced by impact guns and high torque drills can be affected by several factors, including the power source (electric, pneumatic, or battery), the type and quality of the motor, and the gear ratio. Additionally, the condition and size of the fastener being worked on can also impact the amount of torque needed.

What safety precautions should be taken when using impact guns and high torque drills?

These tools can generate a significant amount of torque, so it is important to always wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), including safety glasses and gloves. It is also essential to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions and to use the correct tool and accessories for the job.

What are some common applications for impact guns and high torque drills?

Impact guns and high torque drills are commonly used in automotive repair and construction industries, as well as for home DIY projects. They are ideal for tasks such as loosening or tightening bolts, drilling into tough materials like concrete or metal, and driving large screws or fasteners.