Understanding Torque on a Current Loop in a Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary, the netforce acting on a current loop in a uniform magnetic field is zero. However, torque can still be exerted on the loop due to the forces on different sides of the wire. In this scenario, the torques add up, but the netforce is still zero.
vg19
Hey. I've read in my text that the netforce acting on a current loop in a uniform magnetic field is zero. But, in the next section, it mentions how torque is exterted on a loop placed in a uniform magnetic field. How can this be if the netforce must be zero? (I think I am making a really simple error here)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vg19,

The net force in a uniform field will be zero, but the torque doesn't have to be. Imagine, for example, a square current loop in the yz plane with the magnetic field along the z axis. The current in the loop flows counter-clockwise when viewed from the positive x axis. In other words, the current in the bottom part of the wire is in the positive y direction, and the current in the top part of the wire is in the negative y direction. Hopefully you can visual my scenario despite the poor description. The force on the sides of the wire are zero because the current there is parallel to the field. The force on the top of the wire is in the negative x direction while the force on the bottom of the wire is in the positive x direction. These forces have equal magnitude and point in opposite directions as they must. Now what about the torques? So this is my question to you, do the torques exerted by these forces add up or cancel out?

Last edited:
Ahhh the torques WILL add up but the netforce will be zero since one will be pointing up and one down.

I totally get it!

Thanks a lot!

Glad I could help.

FAQ: Understanding Torque on a Current Loop in a Uniform Magnetic Field

1. What is a torus on a current loop?

A torus on a current loop is a three-dimensional shape formed by a circular loop of wire with an electric current flowing through it. The shape resembles a donut or bagel, with the wire forming a continuous loop around the hole in the center of the torus.

2. How does a torus on a current loop work?

The electric current flowing through the wire creates a magnetic field around the loop. This magnetic field is strongest at the center of the torus and weakens as you move away from the center. The direction of the magnetic field lines depends on the direction of the current in the wire. This magnetic field can be used for various applications such as electromagnets or magnetic storage devices.

3. What are the properties of a torus on a current loop?

A torus on a current loop has several important properties, including its magnetic moment, which is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field it produces. The size and shape of the torus, as well as the direction and strength of the current, also affect its properties. Additionally, the torus can interact with external magnetic fields and other tori to produce complex magnetic fields.

4. What are some real-world applications of a torus on a current loop?

Torus on a current loops have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and medicine. They are commonly used in electromagnets, which are essential components in devices such as MRI machines, electric motors, and particle accelerators. Tori on current loops are also used in magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives and magnetic tapes.

5. How is a torus on a current loop different from other magnetic shapes?

A torus on a current loop is unique because it combines the properties of a solenoid (a coil of wire) and a loop of wire. This results in a complex and versatile magnetic field that can be manipulated and controlled. Other magnetic shapes, such as bar magnets or horseshoe magnets, have simpler magnetic fields and are typically used for different purposes.

Back