Understanding Traffic Flow Equations: Integrals and Partial Derivatives

In summary, the equation presented is a model for traffic flow, specifically the density of cars over time and distance. The variables ρ(t,x) and v(ρ) represent the density and velocity, respectively, as functions of time and distance. The equation shows the relationship between the change in density over time and the change in velocity over distance. Further context and discussion on the concept behind this equation can be found in the linked thread.
cmkluza
(Hope it's okay that I'm posting so much at the moment, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with something I'm doing)

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble with the simplification of the following equation. The answer is shown, but I can't figure out the process to get to it.
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \int^b_a \rho (t,x)dx = \rho (t,a)v(\rho (t,a)) - \rho (t,b)v(\rho (t,b))[/tex]
[tex]\int^b_a\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\rho dx = - \int^b_a\frac{\partial }{\partial x}[\rho v(\rho)]dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\rho + \frac{\partial }{\partial x}[\rho v(\rho)] = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Edit: As @SteamKing pointed out, I should probably give some information about the equation rather than just list it.

The above equation models traffic flow, namely a wave of density traveling throughout traffic from point b to a (as best I understand it). The variables are as follows:
##\rho (t,x)## = density (##\frac{cars}{distance}##) as a function of time and distance
##v (\rho )## = velocity (##\frac{distance}{time}##) as a function of density
##Q = \rho \times v## = Flow rate (##\frac{cars}{time}##)

I've asked about the concept behind this equation in a previous thread located here which should elaborate on some questions you might have about it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely certain where to start. I've stared at this for quite some time, but I don't understand it. Are the left and right sides of the equation preserved from the first to the second step? I can see that the derivative with respect to time of the first bit becomes a partial with respect to time, though I can't necessarily understand that, but I don't see how the right side is combined and also becomes an integral with a partial inside of it. Sorry to post this without any real work, but I don't know what else to do at the moment since I have no one to explain this to me. If this silly explanation of my lack of understanding doesn't count as an attempt of course I'll remove this post.

Anyhow, thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of things in your post which aren't clear.

What is ρ(t,x) supposed to be? What is v(ρ) supposed to be?

You assume that these integrals exist in a vacuum. They do not. They describe something or some process, and it's difficult to help you without some context.

Ahh. I see now.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/on-a-conceptual-level-whats-happening-in-this-equation.856291/

You should have at least quoted the thread above so that someone would know what your equations are describing.

SteamKing said:
There are a couple of things in your post which aren't clear.

What is ρ(t,x) supposed to be? What is v(ρ) supposed to be?

You assume that these integrals exist in a vacuum. They do not. They describe something or some process, and it's difficult to help you without some context.

Ahh. I see now.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/on-a-conceptual-level-whats-happening-in-this-equation.856291/

You should have at least quoted the thread above so that someone would know what your equations are describing.
Sorry, I didn't realize that the values these variables represented had much of an impact on how you would evaluate this function. I'll clarify that in the original post now. Thanks!

Related to Understanding Traffic Flow Equations: Integrals and Partial Derivatives

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is represented by the symbol ∂ and is commonly used in multivariable calculus and physics.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while a partial derivative calculates the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. In other words, a partial derivative is like taking a regular derivative in one direction while holding all other directions constant.

3. What are some real-life applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many real-life applications, especially in science and engineering fields. For example, they are used in physics to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object, in economics to analyze marginal utility and production functions, and in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.

4. How do you solve a partial derivative problem?

To solve a partial derivative problem, you need to first identify the function and the variable you are taking the derivative with respect to. Then, you apply the appropriate derivative rules, such as the power rule or product rule, while treating all other variables as constants. Finally, you simplify the resulting expression to get the partial derivative.

5. Can you give an example of a partial derivative problem?

Sure, an example of a partial derivative problem could be finding the partial derivative of the function f(x,y) = 3x²y + 5xy² with respect to x. Using the product rule and treating y as a constant, the partial derivative would be 6xy + 5y².