Understanding Transistors: A Look into the Physics Behind their Functionality

In summary, the conversation discusses the functioning of a transistor and the physics behind it. The individual is looking for information on why a transistor works the way it does and how it can be used in different components. They also inquire about interchanging the emitter and collector, to which it is explained that while it may still work, it would have limitations due to different doping proportions.
The_Thinker
Hey... I really want to know the root means. I mean i know how a transistor works as in how it functions... But I don't know how it works that way, I want to know the "physics" meaning... as in why it works that for all the various transistors and other components. If someone has a link as to where i can get such info... It would be very helpfull... I want to know how it works.. as in why there is no flow of current between the base and collector in a pnp transistor... At the fundamental level...

Anyone want to help me out? I would be very greatfull..:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
thx for the reply man... :smile: I've just got one question though... since the emitter and collector are identical junctions, can they be interchanged? or must an emitter necessarily be used only as the emitter junction...

The_Thinker said:
thx for the reply man... :smile: I've just got one question though... since the emitter and collector are identical junctions, can they be interchanged? or must an emitter necessarily be used only as the emitter junction...

Collector and emitter are doped in different proportions for optimum performance. If you reverse them, the transistor would still work theoretically but with severe limitations. The alpha would drop by more than half, and beta less than one.

cool... that's what i thought would happen too, thanks for reconfirming it to me... :smile:

Related to Understanding Transistors: A Look into the Physics Behind their Functionality

1. How does a transistor work?

A transistor works by controlling the flow of electricity through a semiconductor material. It has three layers - an emitter, a base, and a collector - and when a small current is applied to the base, it allows a larger current to flow between the emitter and collector.

2. Why do we need transistors?

Transistors are essential components in electronic devices because they can amplify and switch electrical signals. This allows for the creation of complex circuits and the processing of information in computers, smartphones, and other devices.

3. What is the difference between a transistor and other electronic components?

A transistor is a semiconductor device, while other electronic components, such as resistors and capacitors, are made of different materials. Transistors also have the ability to amplify and switch electrical signals, which sets them apart from other components.

4. How small can transistors be made?

With advancements in technology, transistors have become smaller and smaller over the years. The smallest transistors currently being produced have dimensions of less than 10 nanometers, which is about 10,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair.

5. Can transistors fail or stop working?

Yes, transistors can fail or stop working due to factors such as overheating, voltage spikes, and physical damage. However, advancements in materials and design have made transistors more reliable and durable in modern electronic devices.