Understanding Tree and Potato Mass

In summary, a tree's mass comes from carbon. It makes sense, but is it the whole tree or just the trunk of the tree? Cuz I took a Practice Ap test and there involved a question with a piece of potatoe in Water. At first I assumed that it was diffusion or osmosis that occurred but it said it's mass increased. Wouldn't absorbing water increase just it's weight? How did it's mass increase? Cuz Potatoe is a type of root is it built upon carbon like the trunk of a tree? And since it was in water, not to mention it's a root, how would the potatoe take in the carbon?
SpicyRamen
I learned in Ap Bio that a tree's mass comes from carbon.It makes sense, but is it the whole tree or just the trunk of the tree? Cuz I took a Practice Ap test and there involved a question with a piece of potatoe in Water. At first I assumed that it was diffusion or osmosis that occurred but it said it's mass increased. Wouldn't absorbing water increase just it's weight? How did it's mass increase? Cuz Potatoe is a type of root is it built upon carbon like the trunk of a tree? And since it was in water, not to mention it's a root, how would the potatoe take in the carbon? It's only the beginning of the year so maybe I haven't learned enough yet to comprehend but could someone explain this to me? Thanks in Advance

Biology news on Phys.org
What do you mean by this:
Wouldn't absorbing water increase just it's weight?
The weight of an object is defined as its mass multiplied by a gravitational field strength constant. This is the same everywhere on earth, and does not change in time. So, a change in an objects weight implies a change in the objects mass.

I phrased that wrong. What I meant was for both of them to be separate variables. When I read the problem i assumed they meant the mass of the potatoe alone. If water was absorbed by the slice of potatoe it wouldn't be considered part of the potatoes mass would it?

You are confusing biomass, concept of mass as cristo describes, and fixed carbon.

Duirect answer: potato water counts for the mass of the potato. A potato does not have "biomass", just fixed carbon. When you get on the bathroom scale just after drinking two glasses of water, you count the mass of the water, too.

Biomass is the total mass of living organisms in a biotic system. Includes biological water, minerals, etc. Not just carbon compounds.

Fixed carbon is carbon derived from CO2 found as simple sugars and their metabolites. The energy to fix carbon dioxide comes from sunlight, or in ocean trenches from oxidizing metals from deep sea vents. Further metabolizing creates other carbon compounds like protein or fat or ...

The mass of fixed carbon is the dry weight of an organism minus any mineralization. In plants this could be lithocysts, like silicates in horsetails. Because of minerals what early researchers did was:
1. get a oven dry weight of a piece of tissue, or the whole plant
2. oxidize it to remove all carbon
3. weigh the ash.

Then total fixed carbon = dry weight - ash

In a potato, there is no biomass in the strict sense of the word, just fixed carbon.
Trees contain huge amounts of water, as much as 70% of a live tree's mass is water, depending on species.

Last edited:
Oh Ok Thanks Cristo and Mcnamara ^_^"

Related to Understanding Tree and Potato Mass

1. What is the relationship between tree mass and potato mass?

The relationship between tree mass and potato mass is that both are determined by the amount of nutrients and resources available to them. Trees and potatoes both require nutrients such as water, sunlight, and soil nutrients to grow and increase in mass. Therefore, the more resources they have access to, the larger their mass will be.

2. How do trees and potatoes differ in their mass growth?

Trees and potatoes differ in their mass growth mainly due to their different structures and functions. Trees are perennial plants with a woody stem and a complex root system, allowing them to grow taller and increase their mass over time. Potatoes, on the other hand, are annual plants with a starchy underground tuber and a shallow root system, causing them to have a shorter lifespan and a limited ability to increase in mass.

3. Can environmental factors affect tree and potato mass?

Yes, environmental factors such as temperature, precipitation, and soil conditions can greatly affect the mass of trees and potatoes. For instance, extreme heat or cold, drought, or nutrient deficiencies can stunt their growth and decrease their mass. On the other hand, ideal conditions can promote healthy growth and increase their mass.

4. What are some methods used to measure tree and potato mass?

The most common method used to measure tree mass is by calculating the diameter and height of the tree and using a formula to estimate its volume and mass. For potatoes, their mass is typically measured by weighing them on a scale. However, for more accurate measurements, some researchers use water displacement methods to determine the exact mass of potatoes.

5. How do scientists study the relationship between tree and potato mass?

Scientists study the relationship between tree and potato mass through various methods such as field experiments, laboratory studies, and computer simulations. They also use statistical analysis to analyze data and determine any correlations between the mass of trees and potatoes. Additionally, researchers may also manipulate environmental factors to observe their effects on the mass of these plants.