Understanding Vector Cross Product: Finding the Angle Between Two Vectors

In summary, to find the angle between two vectors A and B, we can use the cross product formula which is the magnitude of A multiplied by the magnitude of B multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. In this case, with A = 3 and B = 3, we get a magnitude of 5.4. Using arcsine, we can find the angle to be approximately 37 degrees. However, this is the angle of vector B, not the angle between A and B. To find the angle between A and B, we need to use the smaller angle between them, which is 38 degrees.
physstudent1
This is the question:

Two vectors A and B have magnitude A = 3 and B = 3. Their vector product is A X B = -5k+2i. What is the angle Between A and B.

OK so I'll start with what I do know.

I do know that the cross product is the magnitude of A times magnitude of B times sin theta of B.
I end up with

3*3sinTHETA = 5.4 ( i got 5.4 from finding the magnitude with the components that they gave me )

eventually getting an angle of 37 degrees by dividing by 9 and using arcsin

im not sure what this angle is though..I think it is the angle of B but if it is how does that help me to find the angle between A and B ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]38^o[/itex] angle is the actual angle between the two vectors [itex]\vec{A},\ \vec{B}[/itex].

physstudent1 said:
I do know that the cross product is the magnitude of A times magnitude of B times sin theta of B.
I end up with

This is not true.

The cross product is:
[tex] \vec A \times \vec B = \hat n |AB \sin \theta_{AB}| [/tex]

where [itex] \hat n [/itex] is a unit vector with direction found by the right hand rule. It is orthogonal to the plane formed by [itex] \vec A [/itex] and [itex] \vec B [/itex].

The MAGNITUDE of the cross product however, can be written as:

[tex] |\vec A \times \vec B| = |AB \sin \theta_{AB}| [/tex]

Notice that [itex] \hat n [/itex] disappears because it's magnitude is unity (equal to one).

Also note that [itex] \theta_{AB} [/itex] is the smaller angle between vectors [itex] \vec A [/itex] and [itex] \vec B [/itex].

Does that help?

Last edited:

FAQ: Understanding Vector Cross Product: Finding the Angle Between Two Vectors

What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "×" and is also known as the vector product or the cross product.

How is a vector cross product calculated?

The vector cross product is calculated using the following formula:
A × B = (AyBz - AzBy)i + (AzBx - AxBz)j + (AxBy - AyBx)k
Where A and B are the two input vectors and i, j, and k are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

What are the properties of the vector cross product?

The vector cross product has the following properties:
1. It is not commutative, meaning A × B ≠ B × A
2. It is distributive, meaning A × (B + C) = A × B + A × C
3. It follows the right-hand rule, meaning the direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to both input vectors and follows the direction of a right-hand screw.
4. The magnitude of the resulting vector is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two input vectors.

What are the applications of the vector cross product?

The vector cross product has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some common applications include calculating torque in mechanics, determining magnetic fields in electromagnetism, and creating 3D graphics in computer programming.

How is the vector cross product related to the dot product?

The vector cross product and the dot product are two different operations that can be performed on two vectors. The dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product is commutative while the cross product is not. However, the two operations are related by the following identity:
A · (B × C) = (A × B) · C = (B × C) · A
This identity is known as the triple scalar product and is useful in various applications involving both the dot product and the cross product.

Back