Understanding Vector Multiplication: Why Does Cross Product Result in a Vector?

In summary, the cross product in 2 dimensions results in a vector perpendicular to both A and B, with a magnitude equal to A's y component times B. The right hand rule does not fully explain this concept, as it only determines the direction of the third vector. The difference between trigonometric functions also plays a role, as the cross product produces a vector while the scalar product produces a scalar. Formula (3) defines the cross product, while formula (1) is a consequence of that.
f24u7

Homework Statement

This is actually a concept question, but since its kind of elementary i post it here

I understand the calculation of the cross product, what i do not understand is why the cross product that only involve in 2 dimension will have the result of 3rd dimension

Homework Equations

A cross B = AB sin

A dot B = AB cos

The Attempt at a Solution

If i analyze the equation, i find that Asin is equal to A's y component, and if you times that with B, it will only result in a vector perpendicular to B and has the magnitude of A's y component times B, how does that end up with vector that is perpendicular to both A and B

and the right hand rule doesn't explain it either, it just shows how to obtain the direction of the third vector

besides, how does a difference in trigonometric function made cross product a vector, and scalar product a scalar?

from my understanding, AB cos is just like AB sin, it only gives a number, so where does the direction comes from

the concept of vector multiplication is really confusing, i hope someone can help explaining this

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be a little more careful in distinguishing vectors from magnitudes. The precise equations are

A x B = |A| |B| sin(x) (1)
where x is the angle between the vectors A and B, and |A| and |B| are just the magnitude (without direction information) of A and B.
Similarly,
A · B = |A| |B| cos(x) (2)

The difference is, that A · B is just a number, whereas A x B produces a new vector. So to calculate A · B you just have one formula, namely (2). To calculate A x B you actually have three formulas, one for each component, which go like
(A x B)x = Ay Bz - Az By (3),
etc. If you then calculate the magnitude of the new vector A x B, you will get formula (1) back.

So the most important ingredient to clearing up your confusion, I think, is that you should see formula (3) as defining the cross product, and see formula (1) for the magnitude as a consequence of that.

Related to Understanding Vector Multiplication: Why Does Cross Product Result in a Vector?

1. What is the cross product?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is often denoted by the symbol "×" or "x".

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, A and B, is calculated using the formula A × B = ||A|| ||B|| sin(Θ) n, where ||A|| and ||B|| are the magnitudes of the vectors, Θ is the angle between them, and n is a unit vector perpendicular to both A and B. Alternatively, the cross product can also be calculated using the determinant of a matrix.

3. What is the purpose of the cross product?

The cross product is used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the area of a parallelogram or triangle, determine the direction of a torque or angular momentum, and solve problems involving electromagnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate the direction of a surface normal and in 3D trigonometry.

4. What is the difference between the cross product and the dot product?

The cross product and the dot product are two different types of vector operations. The cross product produces a vector as the result, while the dot product produces a scalar. The cross product is also only defined for three-dimensional vectors, while the dot product can be calculated for vectors of any dimension. Additionally, the cross product is anti-commutative (A × B = -B × A), while the dot product is commutative (A · B = B · A).

5. Are there any real-life applications of the cross product?

Yes, the cross product has many real-life applications. It is used in physics to calculate the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field, in engineering to determine the torque on a rotating object, and in navigation to calculate the direction and speed of an object's movement. It is also used in computer graphics and video game development to simulate realistic movements and interactions of objects in a 3D environment.