Understanding Vectors: Parallelogram PQRS Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of vectors and a specific problem involving a parallelogram and its sides PQ and PS. The speaker has looked through class materials and watched videos on the topic but is still struggling to understand the concepts. They ask for help and for a possible video recommendation on vectors.
recoil33
Hey,

I'll state first that I've obviously just been introduced to vectors and I have looked through the given material in class let alone watched "Khan Academy" and "Patrick JMT" video on Vectors but i can not really grasp the concepts.

Question:

In parallelogram PQRS let
q = PQ and
s = PS

Let U be the midpoint of SR. Extend side SR to a point T such that the length of ST is 6 times the length of SR. Write the following in terms of the vectors q and s.

When entering q and s, they won't be displayed in bold (but don't worry about that).

Q1.

SR

There are a lot more questions, just i'll see if i can get them eventually

Could someone possibly link me a video or anything on vectors?
I've tried to find some, although even the textbook reccommended doesn't even include vectors?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I Just saw that you said you seen that video I just posted.

Related to Understanding Vectors: Parallelogram PQRS Question

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, where the direction of the arrow indicates the direction of the vector and the length of the arrow represents the magnitude.

2. How do you add two vectors?

To add two vectors, you must first align them so that their tails are at the same point. Then, you can find the sum of the two vectors by adding the corresponding components (x and y) of each vector. This will result in a new vector with a magnitude and direction that is the combination of the original two vectors.

3. What is a parallelogram rule for vectors?

The parallelogram rule for vectors states that the sum of two vectors can be found by constructing a parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides. The diagonal of the parallelogram will then represent the sum of the two vectors.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the vector (magnitude) is equal to the sum of the squares of its components (x and y). In other words, the magnitude of a vector can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. In other words, a scalar is a single value (such as speed or temperature), while a vector is a combination of a magnitude and a direction (such as velocity or force).