Understanding Velocity in Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass per unit length of a guitar string based on its frequency, length, and tension. The formula for the frequency is given as fn = n/(2L)v, and the velocity is found using the formula v = √(T/μ). The initial attempt at solving the problem was incorrect, with the correct answer being much lower than expected. It is clarified that the velocity refers to the velocity of the vibrating string.
Screen

Homework Statement

I was told that a string on a guitar vibrates at a frequency of 110 Hz. The length of the string is .648 m and the tension is 100 N. I was told to find the mass per unit length, μ, of the string. Although I got the correct answer, I was wondering why my initial attempt was incorrect (shown below).

Homework Equations

[itex]f_{n}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{n}{2L}v[/itex]

[itex]v[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

dakdX.jpg

(Sorry for the formatting, I don't type in latex really quickly).

In this case, if it's a guitar, why is the velocity of the wave not equivalent to 345 m/s (343.2 m/s)? Why is it so much lower (142.56 m/s)?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, is the velocity referring to the velocity of the vibrating string?

I think I understand now.

Related to Understanding Velocity in Waves

1. What is velocity in waves?

Velocity in waves refers to the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) and is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

2. How is velocity related to frequency and wavelength?

There is an inverse relationship between velocity and wavelength, meaning that as the wavelength increases, the velocity decreases. On the other hand, there is a direct relationship between velocity and frequency, meaning that as the frequency increases, the velocity also increases.

3. How does the medium affect the velocity of a wave?

The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, can affect the velocity of a wave. In general, waves travel faster through denser and more elastic materials.

4. Can the velocity of a wave change?

Yes, the velocity of a wave can change if it enters a different medium. This is because the properties of the new medium can affect the speed at which the wave travels.

5. How does understanding velocity in waves help in real-world applications?

Understanding velocity in waves is crucial in various fields, such as oceanography, seismology, and engineering. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of waves and design structures that can withstand the forces of waves, such as buildings and bridges.