Understanding Waves: Period, Frequency, and Speed of a Vibrating String

• Thread starter midgey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses a vibrating string under tension with stroboscopic pictures to determine the period, frequency, and wavelength of the traveling waves on the string. It also determines the normal mode and speed of the waves, as well as the mass of the string using the formula v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{(M/L)}}. The conversation concludes with a request for help in determining the mass of the string.
midgey
I have what I believe to be a simple question. I've looked in the book and lecture notes and couldn't find any help, so whatever you've got would be appreciated.

A vibrating string 50.0cm long is under a tension of 1.00 N. The results from five successive stroboscopic pictures are shown in Fig. 15.34. The strobe rate is set at 5000 flashes per minute and observations reveal that the maximum displacement occurred at flashes 1 and 5 with no other maxima in between.
a)Find the period, frequency, and wavelength for the traveling waves on this string.

I don't have a scanner, but fig 15.34 shows what looks like 5 simple sin graphs. They look like this order:

1)sin(x)
2).5sin(x)
3)sin(0)
4).5sin(-x)
5)sin(-x)

My guess for period looks like this:
5000/60 = 83.3 flashes/sec
5flashes/83.3 = .06 seconds = period

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, but its all I could come up with. If somebody helps me get the period, I can handle the rest.

b) In what normal mode (harmonic) is the string vibrating?

Since in fig 15.34 they only intersect at one point, it is operating in the second harmonic.

c) What is the speed of the traveling waves on the string

With wavelength and frequency, I can easily find this.

d) How fast is point P moving when the string is in: position 1 and position 3?

P is at the crest of the graph of sin(x). I'm pretty sure I just need to find the transversal velocity here, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. Set up the wave function and take the partial derivitive w.r.t. to time.

e) What is the mass of the string?

I could use a little help on this one.

Thats it. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, with a little more thought, I'm pretty sure that I need to multiply my period by 2 in order to get a full period. So my period ends up being .12 seconds. Am I right?

midgey said:
I don't have a scanner, but fig 15.34 shows what looks like 5 simple sin graphs. They look like this order:

1)sin(x)
2).5sin(x)
3)sin(0)
4).5sin(-x)
5)sin(-x)
I will assume you meant to write:
1)sin(x)
2).5sin(x)
3)0sin(x)
4)-.5sin(x)
5)-sin(x)

And how much of a sine wave is depicted? I assume (based on your later comments) from 0 to 2π radians?

My guess for period looks like this:
5000/60 = 83.3 flashes/sec
5flashes/83.3 = .06 seconds = period
First find the time between flashes: 60 sec/ 5000 flashes = 0.012 sec; so the time between flash 1 and flash 5 would be 4 x 0.012 = 0.048 sec. And, assuming I understand what you've been saying, that will be half the period, so period = 0.098 sec.
e) What is the mass of the string?

I could use a little help on this one.
Once you've found the speed (v) of the wave on the string, you need to relate that to the tension and mass of the string:
[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{(M/L)}}[/tex]
Where T = tension, M/L = mass per unit length of string. You can solve for the mass.

Related to Understanding Waves: Period, Frequency, and Speed of a Vibrating String

What are waves?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, such as water or air, transferring energy from one point to another without causing any net displacement of matter.

What are the types of waves?

There are two types of waves: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum.

What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are characterized by particles moving perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while longitudinal waves have particles moving parallel to the direction of the wave.

How are waves measured?

Waves are measured by their frequency, wavelength, and amplitude. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a fixed point in a given time, wavelength is the distance between two consecutive wave peaks, and amplitude is the maximum displacement of a particle from its equilibrium position.

What are some real-life applications of waves?

Waves have many practical applications, such as in communication technologies like radio, television, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound and MRI, and in industries like oil exploration and earthquake detection.