Understanding Welding Polarity: Tips for Using a Mig/Flux Welder

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Mig/flux welder and the different effects of using gas or flux when welding. The polarity of the welding wire also plays a role in the weld properties, with a positively charged electrode resulting in hotter and faster welds, and a negatively charged electrode creating deeper welds. The reason for this difference in polarity is not clear, and the question is posed to see if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.
GENIERE
I have time on my hands these days so I bought a Mig/flux welder. I have no idea what I’ll do with it but I always wanted one. The machine allows welding with wire that has a flux core or with a gas “shield. Presumably the gas or flux prevents oxidation of the metal when heated.

The question I have is that when gas is used with solid (no flux core) welding wire you are directed to connect the wire to the positive terminal and the material to be welded is connected to the negative terminal. When using flux core (no gas) wire you must reverse the polarity. I haven’t used gas but incorrect polarity with the flux wire makes it much harder to get a good bead started. I can’t think of a good reason why the polarity would matter. Anyone have a thought?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Changing polarity has several effects.

From Wikipedia:
In welding, the positively charged anodewill have a greater heat concentration, and as a result, changing the polarity of the electrode affects weld properties. If the electrode is positively charged, the base metal will be hotter, increasing weld penetration and welding speed. Alternatively, a negatively charged electrode results in more shallow welds.[30] Nonconsumable electrode processes, such as gas tungsten arc welding, can use either type of direct current, as well as alternating current. However, with direct current, because the electrode only creates the arc and does not provide filler material, a positively charged electrode causes shallow welds, while a negatively charged electrode makes deeper welds.

Related to Understanding Welding Polarity: Tips for Using a Mig/Flux Welder

1. What is welding polarity and why is it important?

Welding polarity refers to the direction of electrical current in a welding process. It is important because it determines the type of welding process that can be used, the quality of the weld, and the efficiency of the welding machine.

2. What is the difference between DC and AC welding polarity?

In DC welding, the current flows in one direction, either from the electrode to the workpiece (DC electrode positive) or from the workpiece to the electrode (DC electrode negative). In AC welding, the current alternates between flowing in both directions. AC welding is typically used for welding thicker materials, while DC welding is better for thinner materials.

3. How do I know which polarity to use for my welding project?

The type of polarity you use will depend on the type of weld you need to make. Generally, DC electrode positive is used for welding thicker materials, while DC electrode negative is used for thinner materials. However, it is always best to consult the welding machine's manual or a welding expert for specific recommendations.

4. What is the role of shielding gas in welding polarity?

Shielding gas is used in MIG welding to protect the weld from atmospheric contamination. In DC electrode positive welding, the shielding gas is directed towards the workpiece, while in DC electrode negative welding, the shielding gas is directed towards the electrode.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using different welding polarities?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when welding, regardless of the polarity. Make sure to wear protective gear, work in a well-ventilated area, and follow proper welding techniques. Additionally, be aware of the potential hazards of using different polarities, such as electric shock and gas leaks.